Chapter 13: Emie

"Emie! You have a lesson to teach!" Becky reminded them, irritated.

"With who?" Emie demanded, ready to eat lunch, which hopefully wasn't going to be burnt this time around.

"With whom?" Becky said.

"I'm sorry, what?" Emie furrowed her brow in confusion

"Your grammar was incorrect," Becky replied simply. "It's McKenna," she added, taking a huge bite of her chocolate chip cookie.

Emie closed her eyes in frustration. McKenna was a wealthy, over-dramatic sixteen-year-old. Becky's and McKenna's fathers were business partners, which in turn made Becky always side with her, not that Becky would side with Emie in the first place. To sum it all up, McKenna was a completely spoiled straight white bitch.

McKenna being rich meant that she was a VIP student, so she didn't do anything except mount and ride the horse. Lucky for Emie, Flip was a complete angel and tacked up Ares for McKenna. Ares the Mustang was a handful, to say the least, though Emie wasn't surprised considering that Ares wasn't ridden more than twice a month.

Emie held the opposite stirrup as McKenna mounted. She put her foot in the stirrup pushing all of her weight down before swinging her leg over, hitting Ares' back with her leg. Emie winced for Ares, tightening the girth another hole because McKenna had never heard of checking a girth before mounting. It was a Western day, but McKenna's father paid extra so she could ride English all the time.

To be honest, Emie thought McKenna shouldn't be allowed to ride a horse like Ares. McKenna was a decent rider, but she didn't ride because she loved it and it was painfully obvious in her riding. She wouldn't think about problems or try to find a solution. To McKenna, it seemed as if the only solution was a riding crop.

"Gather your reins and ask for the trot," Emie called from the center of the outdoor arena. McKenna gathered her reins, making Ares halt, she gave him the tiniest nudge then smacked him in the flank, with her crop. He let out a surprised snort, before rushing forward into an uncontrollable trot, that McKenna was having trouble posting to, so she tried to sit the trot. It was painful to watch her bounce around like a ragdoll.

"Half halt," Emie called out.

"It might be in your best interest to explain what a half-halt is," McKenna yelled back.

"It's a half-halt," Emie repeated dumbly.

"What is a half halt?" McKenna yelled, her reins flapping loosely.

"Please ask Ares to walk," Emie said.

"No, just tell me what a half-halt is!" McKenna demanded.

"It's a type of halt," Emie told her. "Now can you please ask Ares to walk!"

"No, I want to canter first!" McKenna said stubbornly.

"McKenna, Ares isn't even warmed up!" Emie shouted. McKenna rolled her eyes kicking Ares into the canter, after three strides Emie realized something. "You're on the wrong lead!"

"Leads don't matter," McKenna shouted back. The first corner neared, and Emie noticed a bird perched on the fence. Before it even happened, Emie could clearly see what was going to happen.

"She's going to fall," Becky muttered from behind Emie, making them jump in surprise.

"Definitely," Emie replied.

The bird flew away, spooking Ares. He took off at a gallop that could put racehorses to shame. McKenna was able to stay on Ares for two seconds tops before she fell to the ground screaming the entire time.

"Emie!" she shrieked. "I can't feel my leg! I'm going to die! My leg will have to be cut off!"

Her screaming gathered a crowd of students, including a ten-year-old, who was quite an experienced rider ducked under the fence, and grabbed Ares, walking him around talking soothingly. The poor little boy had tears streaming down his face, as he continued to walk Ares around. Emie headed over to Ares, while Becky ran over to where McKenna was screaming her head off.

"Is McKenna going to die?" The little boy asked, handing Ares' reins to Emie.

"No, she just fell off," Emie reassured him. "She might have a few bruises but other than that she'll be fine."

"My leg!" McKenna wailed, causing Emie to glance over again.

"On second thought, can you walk Ares around a little more?" Emie asked. When the little boy nodded, they handed the reins back and walked swiftly over to where McKenna was crumpled on the ground.

"We need to get your boot off," Becky said.

"No, let me just die here!" McKenna said, closing her eyes, and going silent, though she seemed to make an effort for tears to well up in her eyes.

"She's dead!" The crying little boy gasped.

"No." Becky snapped. "She is not dead."

She seemed so over McKenna's theatrics and gave her a good slap on the cheek.

"Ow, what was that for?" McKenna snapped.

"You're being dramatic, I'm sure you're fine. Go get back on the horse!" Becky snapped.

"I can't," McKenna wailed.

"Walk!" Becky nearly yelled, making McKenna jump. Emie, reached out their hand to help her up. McKenna stumbled to her feet, putting more pressure on one leg than the other. She gasped, pain written all over her face.

"Stop playing, and get back on the horse!" Becky demanded her brown eyes like daggers. Emie silently reminded herself not to get Becky super pissed off.

"I can't, my leg is killing me!" McKenna said for the first time in her life, not sounding dramatic or bitchy.

Sirens neared, before completely turning off, the gravel crunched, and dust flew everywhere, signifying that whoever that just went up the driveway didn't see the five miles an hour sign. The ambulance parked, and two paramedics rushed over to where McKenna was standing on one leg. Emie whipped around, wondering who had called emergency services, only to see that the boy who had been walking Ares was missing. If Emie was correct, he had been so scared forMcKenna that he had called 9-1-1.

"Take her boot off," the paramedic said. The other parametric grabbed a pocket knife from his back pocket.

"Don't you dare!" McKenna snapped, hopping back a few steps. "Dad just gave me these custom-made boots imported from Italy. They were used by a world-renowned Olympic rider!"

"Either you do it, or I do it." The parametric bargained.

"I will!" McKenna said, her panic seeming to disappear. As soon as the pocket knife was in her hands she tossed it out of the way.

"Ma'am, can you please sit down for us?" The other parametric asked patiently.

"I can't possibly sit down on the ground. It would ruin my riding pants." McKenna complained.

"You already did when you foolishly didn't listen to Emie!" Becky snapped. "Sit!" McKenna gulped, before clutching Emie's arm tightly as she lowered herself down to the ground.

The pocket-knife-parametric reached down into the dirt and grabbed the pocket knife. McKenna immediately started flailing and streaming threats. The paramedics didn't look the least bit concerned; they probably dealt with idiots like her all day.

"Can you hold her down?" The other parametric asked, holding McKenna's leg so it didn't move.

"You're going to get cut if you don't move,"' Becky told her, which seemed to do the trick.

Immediately, she stopped moving as her tall boot got cut from top to heel. McKenna muttered the entire time about how expensive and one-of-a-kind boots were. As soon as the boot was off, the paramedics helped McKenna into the ambulance. The gravel crunched, and then as soon as the ambulance was on the street, the sirens resumed.

"Now, can I have my lunch?" Emie asked as she checked their watch.

"Shit!" Becky cursed. "I left the barbecue on!"