Chapter 15: Becky

Becky tried her absolute best to keep her cool. A few tears slipped from her eyes, as she thought of the possibilities. If the vet or Emie noticed, they didn't bother pointing out her tears.

"So approximately, how much grain did he consume?" The vet asked.

"I don't know how it's even possible," Becky said. "But for the minute or so he was in there." Becky swallowed. "He ate a good fourth of what was in the grain bucket, not to mention his owner specifically said that he had bad reactions to corn." Becky didn't really trust the vet either. Sure, he had received his Ph.D. or whatever, but he was young. She hadn't ever in her life felt so hopeless.

"I gave him something that should help him process the unusual amount of grain," The vet said. "But, if he doesn't process the grain within the next twelve hours we are going to need to put him down"

"Is there anything we can do?" Emie asked, her voice soft.

"Walk him every hour, and don't let him roll or lay down." The vet said, packing his supplies back into his white truck.

"There are some sleeping bags in Kayleigh's trailer," Emie notified Becky as soon as the truck was out of sight. "I'm going to go grab them."

"Have you told Kayleigh yet?" Becky asked, biting her lip to keep from crying.

"Called him right after I called the vet," Emie said. "She should be on her way. There's chocolate milk in the refrigerator."

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Becky managed a small smile. "I'm going to stay with him, could you possibly heat me up a cup?" Becky asked, running her fingers through Trigger's mane. It broke her heart to think that it might be the last time she ever got to do it. "Can you grab me a peppermint as well?" Becky asked on second thought. "They're Trigger's favorite."

"Becky you heard the vet," Emie chided, though Becky seemed to notice some reluctance in their voice. "No other food until he's recovered."

"I'll only give him a crumb," Becky pouted, knowing how immature she sounded. She didn't care. She wanted to make Trigger happy.

"How are you going to do that?" Emie asked. "With a hammer?"

"Emie, the peppermints are soft," Becky reminded her. "All I have to do is take a bite out of it, just like we do for the horses with EMS."

"Fine," Emie grumbled, even though Becky noticed a small sparkle in their eye as if she understood what Becky was trying to do for Trigger in what could very well be his last few hours. "Just a crumb."

Becky smiled victoriously, though a frown quickly replaced it as a car pulled into Moonlit Pastures. Becky let out the biggest sigh of relief when she noticed the postal service logo. She glanced at where Emie was seconds ago, to notice that they were gone. A minute later, Emie arrived, stumbling over part of a sleeping bag that was dragging on the floor.

"Here," they said, tossing something at Becky.

Becky quickly brought her hands up to shield her face. A peppermint bounced off her arms, landing in the wood shavings. "Whoops," Becky said, bending down to pick up the peppermint which was still in its wrapper. She struggled to get the stupid thing out.

"You know what we really need to invest in?" Becky asked, taking a bite of the peppermint before handing the other half to Triggerheart. Emie definitely noticed half of the peppermint was much more than a crumb but didn't comment.

"What?" Emie asked.

"Red licorice," Becky said, chewing the peppermint.

"Red? Yuck!" Emie commented. "Black is so much better."

"Black tastes terrible," Becky countered.

"No red does!" Emie shot back.

"No black does!" Becky argued.

"Black is better!"

"Red is better!"

"Red!"

"Black"

"Re—"

"--I was hoping that you had sorted out your differences," Kayleigh said, effectively starling and cutting off the pair's bickering. "Yet here you are arguing over colors" Kayleigh mused.

Becky could have sworn she never heard a car pull up, but maybe she was too busy arguing.

"Not colors. Licorice." Emie corrected.

"In that case," Kayleigh said, grinning. "Your taste buds are shot, red is better." She flashed Becky a smile, though it faded when he looked at Trigger.

"Mistakes happen, but this looks like mistake after mistake," she started. From what Becky had seen over the years, Kayleigh was not pleased. "Becky, how many times have I told you that after you are finished in the grain room, you shut all the lids, and shut the door? Emie, leading three mares and a gelding which don't share the same paddock sounds like a disaster waiting to happen." He scolded. Becky didn't even bother adding that Emie was leading Sunfire as well, and Emie shot her an immensely grateful glace for her silence. "Mistakes can be forgiven, I'm not sure if Trigger will have the chance to forgive you for yours."