Chapter 16: Becky

Becky was quiet for the rest of that night, as far as she could remember. It was a shock to see just how devastating the effects of her careless mistake were. She hadn't meant for Trigger to get hurt! Sure, Emie hadn't been particularly careful either, but Becky was certain that she was taking the brunt of the guilt over all of it.

Kayleigh didn't look very intimidating in her leg cast and sling, but the expression on his face did well enough to make Becky feel embarrassed. Here they were, meant to look after Moonlit Pastures while Kayleigh was in the hospital, and they had already managed to do so much damage. We were treating it like a competition. Becky realized. But this isn't a competition. It's about the students and the horses. Surely Emie has realized this too by now.

"Is there anything else I should know?" Kayleigh barked, snapping Becky out of her thoughts. "Did a horse turn up lame because you couldn't be bothered to pick up a nail? Did you turn the horses out in the arena and break my mirrors? Truly, I am ashamed of you."

Emie stayed silent, giving Becky much-needed time to collect her thoughts. Sure, Becky could stay quiet and not say anything, but Kayleigh deserves to know the truth, right? Becky certainly didn't need to mention what happened to Sunfire, the students, the mounting block, McKenna, or the outdoor ring-fencing. Sure, most of it was her fault, however, looking through it with her newfound perspective, Becky realized that it was both of their faults.

Becky had been the one to give the command, sure, but Emie hadn't done anything to try and stop or convince her not to. Emie was just as guilty as Becky for everything that had transpired over the last two weeks. If nothing else, Becky would even say that she was even more guilty.

"A few students fell off, but it was their fault and not ours," Becky said finally. Emie winced. This is not going to end well. Becky realized just after she spoke.

Kayleigh pinched the bridge of his nose. "Becky, you are the instructor." Each of her words was clipped and precise. "The students rely on you to teach them." Neither of the girls could think of a single thing that they had taught their students during the past two weeks, so they remained silent.

"I will be back tomorrow to check on Trigger," Kayleigh said, slowly shuffling to turn around. "If I hear of any complaints from the neighbouring farms, you will be banned from this property for the rest of your lives. Do you understand me? I will not have you be a danger to any of my students or horses."

"Yes," Becky said, locking her eyes with Kayleigh's.

"I understand," Emie said a moment later.

"Good." The reply left no more argument.

Kayleigh hobbled out of the barn and shut the door behind her. The girls didn't dare breathe until they heard the sound of tires retreating from the driveway. The only benefit to Becky's outburst was that she seemed to realize what she had said was wrong. She didn't tell Emie this, though the expression of hurt and confusion mingled with regret that made up her face was indication enough.

"Is your offer of chocolate milk still up for grabs?" Becky asked, breaking the silence.

Emie rolled her eyes, thankful for the distraction. "Yeah, sure."

While Emie left to grab her a drink, the events of that night continued to fester in her head. Sure, it might have technically been her fault for leaving the room and bin open, but it had been Emie that had let him get loose in the first place. They were both at fault no matter how they sliced it.

Becky grabbed a soft brush running it over Triggerheart's silky coat. She was sure that there was a look of pure devastation in her eyes as she took in his heavy breathing, but Becky couldn't care less in that moment. Jenn is right. She thought. All I do is hurt those around me. No wonder I can't have a horse. I didn't even own Trigger and I've managed to hurt him. She stopped for a moment, internally cursing herself for already using past-tense in reference to Trigger. No. He is not gone. He is here. He is with you. You are with him. It will be fine.

Becky had a feeling about how the night would end, but she didn't dare linger on the thought any longer than needed. It was time to enjoy Trigger's presence, not try and predict the future. The night was slow, there was no getting around that. Every hour, an alarm would sound, waking the pair up to walk Triggerheart. Each hour, Becky's mood dampened more and more. Every hour she woke up with the hope that Trigger had at least gone to the bathroom, even if it was the littlest bit, it would be enough to hope. Each hour she grew more and more disappointed when there was no sign of recovery.

By the 4 am shift, there was no more chocolate milk in the fridge to drown out Becky's sorrows. Becky suffered through six more shifts, Emie being unnaturally quiet, when finally at ten-to-seven, the vet pulled up. Thirteen minutes later, Kayleigh also arrived, mouth pressed in a firm line. Both Kayleigh and Emie knew what was going to happen, but neither of them could bring themselves to say anything. To do anything even. All they could do was watch as Becky brushed Trigger over and over, despite the fact that she had gotten all the dirt out of hours ago.

The vet spent his sweet time with Triggerheart, humming some cheery turn that Becky didn't recognize all the while. It didn't seem right for the vet to seem so...unbothered by it all. Sure, he probably had to put down colicing horses all the time, but surely that shouldn't make it as casual as he was now. Why, he was practically treating it as giving vaccinations, not ending a majestic creature's life!

"I'll give you some time to say your goodbyes," the vet finally announced. Becky bit her lip so hard that she could almost instantly taste the metallic taste of her own blood. All of that hope hadn't been enough in the end. This is what it was, the end. Becky buried her face in Triggerheart's neck, letting her tears wet his coat.

"I'm so sorry, Trigger," Becky whispered, tears hot on her cheeks. "This is all my fault."

Becky barely saw the needle puncture Trigger's skin. She pressed a kiss to his forehead and whispered one final goodbye. All she saw was the life and pain slowly fading from his eyes until they were empty and looking at nothing. Then she bowed her head, forehead pressed close to Trigger's rapidly cooling form, and cried.