Chapter 13 - The Forest of Black Lashes

"You're sure?"

"You're sure?"

Shem was rapidly pacing. They'd been transferred to a more 'traditional' looking prison beneath the barracks, complete with cold walls, cobble stone floors and barred windows. Rectangular wooden stocks grated against their wrists. They could bend their arms but couldn't straighten them, nor reach round for their satchels. Dawit, though less worn for the ware, was slumped against the wall next to Kai, who was sat next to Avana.

"Saw it with my own eyes, bro," Kai replied.

"He took down four Mynds...before the blade fragmented," huffed Dawit.

"How would he even know how to do that?" asked Avana.

"That's what I wanted to know. Shem?" said Kai, eyeing him intently.

They all followed his gaze and Shem slowed to a stop. He could feel Avana's glare before he even turned to meet it. He blew a gust of air at the ceiling, eyes closed.

"I lent him my Codex to copy some steps for foraging..."

Avana shook her head, "You idiot."

"I was just tryna help him! I didn't know he'd do that with it!"

"Which is why you're an idiot!"

He pivoted and stomped toward Avana, pointing at her nose with his index finger.

"I swear, if you call me an idiot one more time..."

"What? You'll eat dust like you did earlier!"

"Guys, guys!" said Dawit, "Shem, I know you're vex brother...but this ain't it..."

"Whoa, wait, hold on!" called Kai, coming between them, "What's this about him eating dust? Did you clock him?"

"I didn't eat dust..."

"He did."

"It was paprika—actually. And it tasted fine..."

Dawit chuckled then doubled over in a spluttering fit of coughs.

"The hell happened t'you, mate? Him, I understand," said Shem motioning to Kai.

"Thanks, man..."

Once the fit had subsided, Dawit leant back against the cold, stone walls, wiping his running nose with the back of his wrist.

"I'm not meant to lead..." Dawit sniffed. "I'm not like you."

"Stop it, you'll just make it worse," said Avana, dabbing his forehead with her sleeve. "Wellworn wouldn't have appointed you if he didn't think you could do it."

"Maybe he appointed me to prove I couldn't?"

"No. Things got out of hand because you're surrounded by idiots," Avana snapped, her eyes darting from person to person like arrows. "Reckless idiots. Lazy idiots, and arrogant, witless, ignorant idiots."