Chapter 33 - The Wilds of Wealdham

As Keon stepped into the waterfall, Wellworn's reflection extended a hand

As Keon stepped into the waterfall, Wellworn's reflection extended a hand. He squinted down at it, hesitant for a second, then reached out and grabbed it. A solid wrist and strong fingers wrapped around his arm. He jammed his eyes shut andheld his breath as he was pulled through.

Stumbling forward, the world peeled back around him, a wet resistance hitting his legs. Water. Cool air whipped across his face as the humidity shifted. He was standing knee deep in a lake, water cascading over a grassy outcrop above him.

"Mind your step," said Wellworn, placing a hand on his back to steady him.

He signalled to the far end of the pool and Keon waded through the waters towards the bank. Wiping droplets back over his forehead, Keon turned around. It took a moment for his eyes to adjust, but the nebulae breaking through the canopy came to his aid. A wall of imposing trees besieged the pool of water, their silhouettes standing tall against the mini cosmos. Wellworn reached into the waterfall and pulled Dawit plodding through the lake. He blinked back his disorientation then moved to join Keon.

"That was mad!" Keon whispered.

Dawit slapped the side of his arm with a smile.

After a few moments, Avana emerged, followed by Kai, then Asya, then Shem. Jonas was last to emerge, covering the rear as always. Wellworn stepped from the waters up on to the bank at their head, gently parting some bushes.

"This way. We make camp not too far from here," he said.

"Here I was thinking we weren't sleepin' tonight," Keon chuckled.

Wellworn smiled over his shoulder.

"The King always gives his beloved rest."

After an hour of wandering through the maze of ancient woodlands, they broke through a treeline of thick oaks

After an hour of wandering through the maze of ancient woodlands, they broke through a treeline of thick oaks. Golden leaves blanketed the ground surrounding several huge, pollarded beech trees. The thick beams of their branches formedinterlocking crowns clawing for the sky.

"Whoa," said Keon, his back arching to take them in.

"We camp here tonight," said Wellworn, leaning a pack against one of the trunks. From within, he extracted three, ancient looking clay lamps. He gave one to Shem, one to Avana and the last to Jonas. Returning to rummage through the pack, he withdrew a clay vial and handed it to Shem. "Distribute this among you."