Chapter 22 - As Water Reflects the Face

Dawn smiled on the fresh faces of the Millionth and Fifth the morning after their narrow escape from Midnah-Dogu

Dawn smiled on the fresh faces of the Millionth and Fifth the morning after their narrow escape from Midnah-Dogu. They had risen early, eating a hearty breakfast of fresh bread from the night before. Somehow, those loaves never grew cold and always tasted as fresh as when they were first pulled from the oven. It was something Keon looked forward to every morning. They'd made quick progress, trudging through the deep valleys of Meshech. Unlike before, there were no efforts to conceal their movements. They walked boldly out in the open.

Keon tightened his harness and picked up his pace, Asya and Zahara eyeing him curiously as he went. Realising they were both watching him, they swiftly tore their gazes away.

Dawit had been fully restored to his old self since meeting up with Wellworn. He trod through the grass with a spring in his step, his chin raised to the horizon. Keon hop-skipped to draw up alongside him.

"Hey Dawit, you got a minute?" he asked in hushed tones.

"Always," he beamed.

'Always' except for when they first entered Midnah-Dogu. He had little time for his questions then. Even still, he'd started to wonder whether Dawit getting stricken was partially his fault. He glanced from side-to-side, making sure no one else was listening in.

"Does Wellworn have a name?"

"Yeah," Dawit chuckled. "Wellworn."

Keon frowned with impatience.

"Don't gas, bro. It's like everywhere we go, someone's got a different name for him. 'Dawn-Son', 'Scarred Warrior.' What's his real name?"

"What makes you think 'Wellworn' isn't his real name?" said Dawit with feigned bewilderment.

Keon popped a shrug.

"Might be, might not. Sounds like a nickname or an alias to me. Like 'Strider' or 'Elessar'"

"What and what?"

"Come on fam! Lord of the Rings? Aragorn?"

Dawit raised an eyebrow.

"Brother, you're just throwing random words at me..."

Keon clawed his face in impatience.

"He was a descendent of the sons of Elendil and heir to the thrones of Gondor and Arnor, raised by Elves. He changed his name to 'Estel' to hide his identity from Sauron."

Dawit frowned.

"I mean Wellworn wasn't raised by Elves, but..."

"I'm just sayin'! It's a comparison!..." he took a deep breath and grabbed his composure, realising the others were starting to stare. He leaned in and lowered his voice. "Look, what I'm sayin' is, in Lord of the Rings, Aragorn went by different names to hide who he really was. I think Wellworn's doing the same. I don't think that's his real name."