Chapter 27 - Perils & Partnerships

Keon stood squirming before a large, rounded rock embedded in the ground

Keon stood squirming before a large, rounded rock embedded in the ground. With every exhale another sliver of self-control seemed to bleed from his body. Just the thought of trying to 'steady his breathing' loosened his already tenuous grip on his faculties. 'Think of something else' produced slim results. Facing the thought head on seemed only to ramp up its intensity. So he stood, suspended in a web of discomfort whilst Wellworn watched, arms folded, from a few feet away.

"Now Keon, I want you to take this rock and carry it up to the top of that hill."

Keon's weary gaze climbed the steep slopes leading to a forested enclosure, then fell back to his chest. He took a few belaboured steps towards the stone and stopped, shaking his head.

"I can't carry that by myself," he said, pointing.

Wellworn smiled.

"I did not say you had to carry it by yourself."

Keon frowned, looking from him to the hill. He got the hint, but—

"Where's the 'mutual interest' in that?"

Wellworn tightened his arms across his chest.

"Once you make it up that hill, you will be free to relieve yourself of your burden."

Keon weighed his words, calculating. He sniffed and approached the stone.

"Fair enough."

Feet planted shoulder-width apart, he rubbed his palms together in readiness, focusing his intent on the smooth surface of the rock. He blew out a breath and struck his palm. Instantly, he felt a difference. The weight that had been twisting his insides lessened. He could do this. They could do this.

His Mirror seemed to match his enthusiasm as they circled round to opposite ends of the stone. Looking in its eyes, even for a second, was still mad disorientating, but he had to stay focused. Just think of it as a mirror. Shaking his hands out, he bent down low and clasped his end of the rock. It was longer than it was wide and flatter at the bottom; ideal for two people to carry. The stone relaxed its grip on the ground, dragging a few stray blades of grass with it as they lifted it off the soil.

Step over careful step they pivoted and shuffled side-ways towards the incline. As they started moving up the slope, the Mirror's foot clipped a stray stone and their hold faltered.

"Easy," Keon muttered.

"Don't tell me what to do!" it snapped, pupils flashing white with malice.

"Yeah, well—you don't have a choice right now..." he groaned, straining against the stone.

"I'm only helping 'cause I need to go."

"You're helping 'cause I'm making you," said Keon.

"Is that what you think?"