Chapter 28 - Sanctioned & Gifted

Keon sat alert as his friends rounded a corner of bushes and entered the clearing

Keon sat alert as his friends rounded a corner of bushes and entered the clearing. His eyes sifted from Shem, to Avana, to Kai and Dawit until they found Zahara. Her eyes met his and she smiled, looking down at her feet. Asya followed close behind, hesitant, with Jonas at the rear. Always at the rear. The smell of fresh, baking bread tickled Keon's nose and set his stomach aflame. It sent him flying back vividly to that night in his bedroom. That all felt so far away now.

With his Mirror gone, he could relax. He'd even dosed off. Crap! Was he dribbling? He swiped the back of his arm across the corner of his mouth.

"What's good, guys?" he said, trying to deflect.

"We smelt food," said Kai, wincing as Avana's elbow entered his ribs. "Ow! We're here for you, bro."

Keon arched an eyebrow.

"They are here for the next part of your training," said Wellworn, wiping his hands with a damp cloth.

At that, Keon rose like a cat that had just spotted a rodent.

"Forging?"

"Not quite," said Shem.

"Aw, come on man," he wheezed, visibly deflating two inches.

"It'll be good brother, we promise," added Dawit.

Wellworn folded his arms as they all turned to face him, Keon reluctantly following suit.

"Dawit, I would like you to demonstrate a Sanction for our good friend Keon," he said.

"A Sanction?" Keon echoed.

Dawit stepped out, rubbing his palms together in anticipation.

"Now then," said Wellworn, "run to the edge of the island and back in five seconds."

If there was anything in Keon's mouth, he would have spat it out.

"What?!"

Dawit nodded and turned towards the path leading away from the crosswise table, bouncing on his feet in readiness.

"I mean, bro..." Keon didn't want to say it, but his eyes staring at Dawit's girth probably said it all. Dawit, however, just turned and winked.

He bent his knees, pushed off with his foot and a tidal wave of dirt and dust exploded in his wake, showering his comrades.

"WHOA!" said Keon.

Dawit was gone. Completely!

Before he had time to fully process what he'd just seen, Dawit came skidding back. All in exactly five seconds. Keon clawed the back of his skull with both hands.

"WHAT TH—!"

"Told you," Dawit huffed, hands on his knees.

Keon released his cranium.