5

THE AMUSEMENT park was buzzing with liveliness. The people contributed mostly to the noise, and the rides contributed as the rest. But there was the music that would irritate anyone's eardrums. Skye disliked crowds and noise, but Jen loved it. They went on too many rides to count, and ate so many candy apples that she realized Jen had a bad case of sweet tooth, "Jen, can we take a break? I might throw up if I go on another ride," Skye said.

"Yeah, sure, babe," Jen took a bite into her candy apple, as they took a seat on one of the many tables. She then noticed Henry biting into cotton candy at the table opposite theirs. He'd stopped in once or twice at the restaurant since she'd been working there.

Jen smiled at him, as he noticed her, and waved her over. Skye noticed and nudged her shoulder for them to go over, "hey, you guys enjoying the rides?" Jen waved, as they stood next to the table.

"Taking a break. Michelle nearly threw up on the last one," Henry said. Skye locked eyes with the girl sitting beside him.

Jen and Skye sat on the bench opposite Michelle and Henry's side, "Jen's got me on all the rides faster than I can count my ten fingers. I'm seriously going to have a hangover at work tomorrow," Skye laughed.

"Amusement hangover? That's a strange one," Michelle chuckled, as she took a sip of her soda, "where do you work anyway?"

Skye smiled and placed her arms on the table in front of her. She was tired. No, she was exhausted, "I work with Barnes and Barnes."

Michelle said, "oh... they sell some of the most expensive shit in the country. So, are you the manager... manager's assistant?"

"Something like that," Skye answered.

Jen placed the palm of her hand on Skye's thigh and smiled, "she's too humble," Jen said.

Michelle took a prolonged sip of her soda, and placed her arm around Henry's shoulder, "they've got a secret. And we have to find out what it is. Is this secret, a big secret, a bad secret, or a secret which you should just tell me so that I'll stop bothering you?" Michelle teased.

Skye raised a brow and laughed. She certainly didn't have a secret, "my grandparents developed the department store back in the late fifties. It passed down to my mother. And I help out."

"Woah. So you'll own it one day? Damn. Lucky," Michelle said.

"Well, I've got a few options open. My dad wants me to take over his business, and my mom's the same. I don't want to do both. And it's hard to choose," Skye mentioned.

Michelle responded, "such a difficult decision, huh? I'm guessing you're an only child."

"Sadly, yes."

"So what's it that your dad does?" Michelle badgered.

"He runs a chain of supermarkets..."

"Well, fuck me. You're loaded," Michelle's jaw dropped.

Skye puffed out her cheeks. She definitely wasn't loaded, her parents were. She'd never prided herself on her family's wealth.

"Henry. I didn't know if you wanted mustard and ketchup, so I got you the packets," Rosalie looked up at Jen and Skye. She smiled and sat down in between Henry and Michelle, "hey, fancy running into you guys here," Rosalie said, as she handed Michelle and Henry a corndog each. Jen hadn't seen Rosalie since the argument that she had with Alex. And Rosalie didn't answer any of Skye's phone calls, or messages. Though, they couldn't bring that up. It would've just made things awkward. But Skye and Jen weren't expecting to have that double date anytime soon.

"Yeah," Jen pressed her lips together, and Skye just sat silent, "so how have you been?"

"Since she left Alex?" Henry asked with a chuckle. He'd found it amusing that Rosalie hadn't spoken to his mother in a few days, and he'd been getting more calls because of it. Mostly, so that Alex could ask if he heard from Rosalie. He took a bite into his corndog. His cotton candy laid half-eaten on the table.