24

ROSALIE COULDN'T deny that she'd missed everyone, but it was also nice to have time with just her wife and daughter. Kaitlyn was around, but spent most of her time with Charlotte, as long as Charlotte wasn't off with her family.

The fair was a nice place to be for New Year's Eve. There were rides for Abbi, and lots of booths set up selling a variety of things. There was even a pony giving rides to little kids, and of course, Abbi was riding away like a pro.

Kaitlyn didn't have Charlotte by her side that night. Charlotte was with her mother, trying to escape as soon as she could, "Grace told me what you told her, Charlotte," Velma said, causing Charlotte to sigh. She awaited the lecture, but it never came.

"What then?" Charlotte snapped, frustration getting the best of her. She was so tired of hiding her sexuality from her mother. I'm fifty-seven, for god's sake.

Velma said, "I don't appreciate you spreading lies in town," and there's the lecture.

"It's not a lie, mom. Learn to accept the fact that I'm—" The slap that hit her face got her blood boiling. Taking a step back, and looking around, she could see so many eyes on them.

"Shut up," her mother warned behind gritted teeth.

"I'm not the teenager that you think you can abuse anymore. You sent me away when I was seventeen, you ever wonder why I never came back?" Charlotte almost yelled. Velma grabbed her daughter's hand in an attempt to settle her down, but Charlotte wasn't having it, "I've always fucked women, mom. Whether you want to believe it or not. Your threats mean nothing to me," Charlotte yanked her hand away. Kaitlyn noticed the argument, and walked over, worry in her eyes.

"Is everything okay?" Kaitlyn asked, as she looked at Velma. She must be the mother. Rosalie didn't want Abbi to witness any of it, so she took her onto the ferris wheel. But Beth walked over to see what was going on.

"Mind your own business, you lesbian," Velma snarled. Beth blinked a few times, wondering if she'd heard correctly. That was rude. She walked beside Kaitlyn, and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Velma, what's going on here?" Esme walked over, and asked her friend. Beth remembered the name. Velma. Velma Summers.

"You're Velma Summers, huh?" Beth asked.

Velma didn't answer, instead she looked at Beth with venomous eyes, "just leave her alone, will ya? You lesbians always have to cause a problem," Esme grumbled, as she looked between Kaitlyn and Beth, before settling her eyes on Charlotte.

Rosalie said, "wow, okay. Us lesbians didn't start anything. Tell your friend over there to stop being a homophobic arse," Rosalie couldn't stop herself from joining the conversation, as much as she hated causing a scene. She'd given Abbi her phone, and plugged headphones into her ears, so that she'd listen to music.

"And who are you?" Esme snarled. Beth laced her fingers with Rosalie, and led her beside them.

"None of your business, I'd say," Beth said, gritting her teeth. Callie and Megan walked over with widened eyes. Oh damn.

"You lesbians can't just come into our town, and act like you own the place. We've lived here our whole lives," Velma mentioned.

Rosalie said, "and my wife was born, and grew up here, if you didn't know. You don't own the town, so you can't determine who can be here, and who can't," Rosalie was fuming. She took a glance at Abbi who sat on a bench nearby, looking back at her.

"You promote such a nasty behavior," Velma complained, "you've got all these girls thinking that they're just like you. It's wrong, and you know it."

"What I promote is equality, if anything, Velma. I can't make anyone gay by just walking around with my wife," Rosalie responded.