Doin' What She Likes (Akutagawa x Higuchi)

(Heard this song on my first morning bus and got inspired)

"Higuchi seems really down," Gin started.

Akutagawa, Hirotsu, Gin, Tachihara, Q, and Chuuya all stood in the sitting room together, having an important discussion about Higuchi's recent behavior.

"She's been talking less," Tachihara added.

Q nodded and asked if anyone knew what was wrong with her. Everyone shook their heads no.

"Maybe one of us could ask her?" Chuuya asked.

"I'd say to send Akutagawa. After all, she obviously wants his attention, so if he gave her some, she'd tell him anything," Tachihara suggested.

Akutagawa widened his eyes in surprise and immediately replied with a no.

"Come on, Akutagawa, it'll be fine. Please just ask her," Q said, using their child like attitude to persuade Akutagawa.

Gin did the same, then Tachihara and eventually even Hirotsu and Chuuya. After they all said please, he got overwhelmed and agreed to it in a very annoyed tone.

"Fine! I'll do it! But you all owe me!" He roared, storming off to find her.

He looked around the PM base for a bit, seeing if she'd even shown up for work that day, since they'd all been too busy to fully notice.

When he didn't find her, he decided to call her.

The phone rang a few times before she picked up, not saying a word on the other end.

"Higuchi. It's Akutagawa," he started.

"Akutagawa-Senpai? Why are you calling me?" She asked in surprise.

"You didn't show up today at all, and the others were worried about you."

"I'm so sorry, sir. I know I shouldn't have skipped work, but I couldn't bring myself to do anything today. I'll try to be back tomorrow."

"Don't apologize. It's fine, as long as you're okay," he replied.

"Oh, um... Thank you, sir. I promise to be back tomorrow."

"Higuchi."

"Sir?"

"If you need time off, take it. Don't worry about us, we'll live a few days without you here. Besides, can't have you coming back and doing your job only half right because you don't feel good."

"Really sir? Oh thank you!" Higuchi exclaimed in surprise and appreciation.

Akutagawa smiled slightly up in hearing her happiness and relief. She sounded somewhat free of her worries for a moment, and he liked the way it calmed his heart.

Even after he'd wished her well and told her to get better soon before hanging up, he kept smiling. He just couldn't help it.

He didn't know why, but the way it made him feel to hear her so relaxed, he hadn't felt this at peace in a long time.

He knew he wanted to feel this feeling again, so he formulated a plan.

~

Higuchi sat at home on her couch, head in hands as she let the small tears fall down her face.

She couldn't believe it. It just wouldn't settle in her, no matter how hard she tried to accept it.

Her coffee was sitting in a small mug on the table beside her, and the TV was turned off.