Leave the night on (Ranpo x Yosano)

"You're still here?" A voice asked.

Ranpo looked over to see Yosano looking at him. He noticed a small folder in her hands and saw the corner of a paper inside that had the name of their coworker, Dazai, on it.

"Yep. Surprising, huh?" He asked her.

She nodded and then asked him why.

"I don't really know, I just don't feel like getting up is the right thing to do right now. What about you?"

"I was about to leave, actually. Dazai set me up for this blind date thing but I don't really want to go."

"Would you like to stay here with me, then?"

"Sure. I just have to go put this up first," she replied, heading off to her office.

She returned a moment later and sat beside the chair Ranpo was in.

"So what's the story with this date of yours?" Ranpo asked.

He didn't know why he bothered to ask about it since it wasn't an interesting topic, but a small part of him felt very strong hatred toward what Dazai had done to his best friend.

"Dazai told me I needed to relax more and go on a date, that way I could "live a little and be less scary" towards everyone. Am I really that bad?"

"Actually, yeah. You're terrifying."

She gave him a look, asking, "really?" In a emotionally tired kind-of tone.

"You know I'm right."

"Yeah, but you didn't have to point it out. It was a rhetorical question."

"I know."

Sighing, Yosano told him he wasn't helping. He nodded and she went on.

"Then, Dazai has the bright idea to make me an account on a random dating website he's seen be advertised lately. I told him not to, but you know he doesn't listen."

"Yeah, I think by now everyone does."

"Moving on," she said, giving him another look. "This random guy swiped on my profile or whatever and now I have a date with him starting in about ten minutes."

"So do like normal and blame Dazai for everything?" Ranpo asked.

"Exactly," Yosano replied.

"Hey, why don't you go on the date?" Ranpo asked.

"Why would I do that?" Yosano asked.

"Because I can hide under the table and you can feed me when no one is looking. And then I can tell you everything about this guy once I steal his wallet because he'll be too distracted by your beauty to notice me."

".....That's probably not a good idea, but sure. It's better than nothing."

They both stood and walked out. Yosano led Ranpo to a very fancy looking restaurant and entered, talking to the lady at the entrance counter.

"Do you have a reservation, ma'am?" The woman asked Yosano.

"Er... Yes, I'm here for a date," Yosano replied, somewhat nervously.

Glancing behind Yosano at Ranpo, the womna made a disgusted face and replied, "right....."

"Thank you," Yosano said once the woman at the counter had told her where to go.

When Yosano arrived, she noticed that the table had no one at it. She checked her watch and thought maybe her date had been tired of waiting.

"Well, at least now I don't have to go under the table," Ranpo said, flopping down into the cushioned seat.

"Yeah, at least there's that."

Since her date had paid for an all-you-can-eat meal (gosh I love those), Yosano didn't mind Ranpo ordering half the restaurant by himself.

The waiter looked at Ranpo in disbelief upon hearing his order, but smiled gratefully at Yosano when all she ordered was a water.

"You should try this crab," Ranpo said, motioning to the plate in front of him.

"No thanks, Ranpo. I'm not hungry," Yosano said.

"Something wrong?" Ranpo asked, no longer paying any attention to his food.

"Are you ignoring your food for me? I must really mean something to you then," Yosano joked.

"Seriously though."

"Well, maybe there was a tad smidgen of me that wanted this whole thing to actually happen. I guess I thought Dazai was right, and that maybe I am over the top. Mayne I just wanted to have a little bit of fun with someone my age who doesn't have the guts to eat half a restaurant by himself for once..."

"Ok. Well for one, I feel targeted," Ranpo started.

He pretended to be insulted so Yosano laughed a bit.

"Secondly, don't think like that, Yosano. Even if you are pretty creepy, it's part of who you are. And I live that about you," Ranpo finished.

Yosano gasped slightly and Ranpo looked surprised. He'd just realized what had slipped out.

"Ranpo, you-" Yosano started.

"It was the crab!" Ranpo exclaimed in a panic.

He turned slightly pink and moved his hat over his face in embarrassment.

Yosano smiled and stood up, moving over to where Ranpo sat. She slipped his hat off of his head and gently kissed him on it before stealing the hat and returning to her seat.

"I-I-" Ranpo stammered.

"I love you too, Ranpo."

"Wait- really? You do?" Ranpo asked.

"Jeez, all those brains of yours and yet you can't even tell when a girl likes you?" Yosano sighed. "Men are idiots."

"Yeah, I guess they are. But if I'm an idiot, your date was definitely a bigger one."

Yosano thought for a moment. "Hey, Ranpo? I have a question."

"Hm?" Ranpo asked, returning to his crab.

"Were.... You my date tonight?"

Caught off guard by the question, Ranpo just looked at her and blinked. Then, he nodded and replied with a yes.

Yosano smiled at him and nodded in understanding.

"Thanks Yosano," Ranpo said.

"For what?" She asked him.

"For being you."

Author's Note:
WC: 955 words today