ii. daddy

"It's just like no one is paying attention. It's- It's like it's not real." Nick states when we get to his house.

"It is. It is real." Madison says as she gets close to him and I get up to grab something to eat. "You saved us." I hear her saying. "You had no other choice."

"I'm about to step into... a world of shit. You know that right?" He asks her and my heart aches for him.

"Yeah," she says and walks away.

"Come here..." I say as I give him my hand for him to hold.

"Mmm..." he mutters as he grabs my hand and sits on my side at the couch.

"How are you?" I ask looking at him, knowing how he gets if he's out for a long time.

"As best as it gets." Nick looks away from me and after some time looks back, but doesn't say a word.

"What?"

"You're pretty," he says and I slightly smile and look away.

"I know- oh, shit!" I say as I noticed that had he started vomiting. "Madison!" I called and she came back already ready to help him.

"Hey, the bucket," I yell at Alicia, who already knew why is was needed.

"Hang in there, big brother," Alicia tells him and I sit close to his feet as he starts taking clothes off and keeps on with the heavy breathing.

"We're gonna get you medicine, okay?" Madison says as she puts a wet towel on his forehead.

"I gotta get under the blanket." He struggled to say and I get up to get him the blankets around the room.

"Here." I help him get under it.

"Mom, what are you gonna do?" Alicia asks her.

"I don't know. Dr. Han's not calling me back, and now I can't even reach Travis." She says as she keeps waking from side to side.

"Yeah, I mean, it's like after an earthquake. Circuits are overloaded. Got anything stashed?"

"No."

"It's dangerous for him to go cold turkeys like this," Alicia says.

"I know. I know."

"Mom I-" He struggles to say and she puts the wet towel on him again as he moans in pain.

"The doctors. You can pick 'em up." Alicia suggests again while I just stay there stroking Nick's leg.

"I don't even know- I think they're closed. They're not calling me back. By the time I-" She starts saying.

"The school. They have meds right?" I ask talking about the school she works at.

"Yeah. Yes. Okay, watch him." Madison says as she gets up. "Prom- do not leave the house." She tells Alicia.

"I wo-I won't!"

"Do not let her leave the house." She tells me and I nod.

"I'm leaving architecture and focus on babysitting," I say as I sit back at his feet.

"Here, have some water." Alicia says as she gives him a bottle.

"I'm not thirsty, water is not what I need." He complained.

"We know what you need Nick. Mom's working on it." She says and Nick starts throwing up again, this time to the bucket.

"I'm going to the bathroom. Don't leave." I point at Alicia "Don't die." I point at Nick as I walk upstairs.

"Matt will hurt you! He will kill you, Alicia. I'm-" I hear Nick say as I'm finishing peeing.

"No, no, no, no! Not now!" Alicia screams "Not now! Don't do this to me, Nick. Not now!" She screams again "Don't do this you stupid son of a bitch!"