xii. pocahontas

"Katherine!" I hear Paulo's voice in the distance and I start coughing. "Thank god"

"Where are we?" I struggle to ask as I look around and only see weeds and bugs flying around.

"I was able to take us out of the fire." He tells me as he helps me get up and I look at him waiting for him to tell me that Nick and his family were right around the corner. "I don't think there were survivors, Kat..." He whispers as he looks at me.

"No..." I look away. "They have to be alive."

"I'm sorry."

"They have to!" I punch him in the chest "They have to, Paulo! They're alive! It was not yesterday." I keep pushing him and he hugs me "It can't be." I cry into his chest "Nick's alive. He has to be."

***

We had been walking for the past hours. No water. No food. No weapons. No talking.

"Did you saw dad?" I finally break the silence. "On the fire."

"He died. So did Jane and their kids." He swallows hard "We're on our own now."

"I'm sorry. I know you always like him."

"When I was a kid I did, not anymore. He was a dick." Paulo says and looks at me winning a small smile.

"There's a store!" I laugh and we run towards it.

As we walked inside we made some noise for any dead who wants to make us its linch show up but nothing.

Paulo went to look for food and I want to look for weapons.

A baseball bat to be more exact.

"I found water and food!" Paulo says right away as he takes around ten water bottles and fifteen cans of beans from the shelves.

"Oh my god!" I smile as I open one of them and eat it as if there wasn't a tomorrow.

I miss Nick. He would make me think that it would be okay, that it was worth it. Paulo can't do that. He has nothing. And now, neither do I.

__

I decided to call them walkers, the dead, since they're dead, but walk. I figured that since the world doesn't make sence anymore, why should the dead be called dead? When they walk.

It had been around two weeks since we found the store. A week since we ran out of water, a few days since we ran out of food.

Walking was something that kept getting harder and harder as the days went by.

Paulo and I didn't talk much. Sure we made decisions together, but silence slowly became a normal thing between us.

Nick, something that was in my mind 24/7, how I didn't say goodbye. Our last talk. 'Please just don't become one of them.', were my last words.

We had stopped on to rest and get some sleep, something I couldn't do, but Paulo could.

I notice a rabbit running and I get closer and closer to try to catch him. Don't get me wrong, I love rabbits, but I love myself way more, and I really need to eat.

As I get close enough I hear a shotgun being load, causing the rabbit to escape and me to tense up

"Put your hands up." A male voice comes from behind me and I put my hands up as I turn around slowly.

He was taller than me but shorter than Nick. Around Paulo's height. Brown hair. Blue eyes. And a small beard.

"You're alone?" he asks but I don't say a word, his gun still points in my direction. "I'm Jonathan. I'm jus' trying to help."