FIVE

THE PRICE OF GOLD

Bonnie found her target. It had been years since she found Rumple and she was now seventeen; she often did deals on her own like the present. She flicked her hand and a ball of white light hit the Fairy Godmother which turned her into a slug.

"That's not right," Bonnie said as she approached the slug and the shocked blonde girl dressed in rags. "I must've got the spell wrong."

"Oh well," Bonnie shrugged as she picked up the fairy wand. She smiled under her black cloak. "He'll be so proud of me."

"What did you do?" Cinderella questioned in fright. All she saw was a person in a black cloak and their face shrouded in darkness. Bonnie no longer spelled her voice to sound distinctly male; although, everyone presumed she was some hideous, old woman underneath because she never revealed her face.

"I got what my master wanted," Bonnie informed.

"By killing my Fairy Godmother?"

"I didn't kill her. I just transformed her," Bonnie argued. "There's a difference."

"She was trying to help me," Cinderella said sadly.

"Well, there's nothing the fairy can do that I can't," Bonnie said confidently before doing a mock bow. "Quiver, at your service."

Quiver became her new moniker. She appeared with the Dark One everywhere in her dark cloak for years. If anyone talked negatively about her master, she'd appear and make them think otherwise. Rumors started up about her; that she was a shadow that listened to whispers; that she had a scarred face underneath her cloak and anyone that saw her true face became just as scarred. Her legend made people tremble, quiver, with fear and that is where her title came from.

"You'll help me?" Cinderella questioned.

"Yes. But I'll warn you: all magic comes with a price."

"I can handle it."

"Really? Well, if you think so," Bonnie said before a contract and a feathered pen appeared. "For a better life, you'll sign this. You'll owe my master a favor."

"What favor?"

"Something precious."

"But I have nothing."

"But you will once you get your happily ever after," Bonnie said, her heart yearning for her own.

"Well, how does it work?"

"Just sign on the dotted line and we'll have a deal."

"Yes, yes thank you," Cinderella signed the document.

The document disappeared along with the pen before Bonnie pointed the wand at Cinderella. She used the wand's magic and the ragged girl transformed. The rags turned into a ball gown, her hair is done up, and glass slippers appear in front of her.