TWO

HER DREAMS were haunted again by ghosts she didn't know. As soon as she woke up, her ghosts were forgotten. She couldn't recollect what had gone on in the dream; she only had the feelings.

Her precious dreams had been disrupted by the alarm clock and she turned it off but gave the rude object the evil eye like it would combust into flames if she concentrated enough. But sadly that didn't happen and she begrudgingly got up.

She got up and got ready for the worst thing imaginable: school. She lazily threw on her clothes with a scowl, putting on a black sweatshirt and black jeans. It was the same outfit she always wore, but the jeans would sometimes be traded for leggings.

She walked down the stairs, her feet always stepping lightly on the floor. She found Regina in the living room with that fairytale book that Henry always carried around. She had never looked inside the book.

Her footsteps were so quiet that she was able to stand right behind where Regina was sitting on the couch. She looked down at the book, over Regina's shoulder.

"What are you doing?" Bonnie asked.

Regina jumped in her seat and looked at Bonnie, "Please, try to announce your presence when you come in a room."

Bonnie shrugged, "Yeah, sure."

Regina analyzed the eighteen year old who was a senior in high school. She stood up and crossed her arms, "Bonnie, you can't go to school without brushing your hair. It leaves a bad impression."

Bonnie rolled her eyes before smoothing her white blonde hair down with her hands, "There. It's fine now."

"Why do I even try?" Regina sighed.

"What's for breakfast?" Bonnie changed the subject to her appetite, the reason she came and found Regina.

"I believe there's a leftover apple strudel in the fridge. You can..." Regina didn't even get to finish before Bonnie sprinted into the kitchen to the refrigerator.

"Is that really all I needed to say?" Regina muttered to herself before going upstairs to confront Henry about the missing pages of the storybook.

_________

"So...what's so special about that book?" Bonnie asked lazily as she walked with Henry to his school and ate her apple strudel at the same time.

Henry regarded her curiously and shrugged, "I'm not sure if I should tell you."

"Why? I won't tell Mom, I swear," Bonnie promised and crossed an x over her heart with her finger.

"Okay," Henry agreed and looked around the street to see if anyone was in sight before speaking quietly. "This whole town is fairytale characters and that book tells us everything about them. The book and Emma are the only way to stop the Evil Queen."

"So Regina is the Evil Queen?" Bonnie asked and Henry nodded.

Bonnie realized she was down to her last piece of apple strudel before offering it to Henry, "You want the last one?"

"Sure," Henry took it and ate it. "You're lucky she likes you or else it might've been poisoned."

"Of course she likes me. She adopted me," Bonnie responded.

"No. That's just what you believe because you can't remember your past life," Henry explained.

"So who am I in this book?" she asked.

"I don't know yet. I've never seen your face in the book. But I'm sure I'll figure it out once I keep reading," Henry said as they arrived at his school.

"Well, tell me when you have an answer or a guess," Bonnie said. "I'll see you after school, Henry."

"See ya," Henry said and ran into the entrance of his school.

_________

She was convinced that high school was the worst thing imaginable. It was so boring and she only had one friend. His name was Calvin Reyes and whenever he sneezed it sounded an awfully lot like a bird ca-call.

A lot of people made fun of him for it, but that quickly ended when she sent three people to the clinic with bruised up faces. And two of them were boys. No one talked about her friend after that.

"You're not poor, Bonnie," Calvin stated. "You can wear something other than this one outfit."

"Sweatshirts are comfortable," Bonnie shrugged. "And I like black."

Bonnie looked at Calvin. His outfit always had the color white somewhere in it. Today he wore a blue shirt and white jeans. The blue brought out his eyes. He always contrasted with her as she wore black everything every single day.

She couldn't explain why the color meant so much to her. She couldn't remember a reason as to why she liked black so much. But she just knew she had to wear it. It made her feel more whole inside than she was.

"Look, here he is," Calvin said, glancing at a white-haired boy walking down the hall with a trail of girls following him. "The loner Prince of the school."

Calvin glared at him but she looked at him with a soft look. He always looked so sad and she didn't know why. The Prince's green eyes glanced up and met her blue ones. He always transfixed her with his stare but then he looked away and walked past her down the hall.

"Why does he always look at you?" Calvin questioned as if even speaking the question left a bad taste in his mouth. "He has enough girls flocking around him."

"I don't know," she said as they walked into their first class of the day. But she stole a glance back into the hallway to see that he was staring at her again. But she quickly looked away, not allowing herself to think of the possibility that he might like her. She refused to think of it.

She, too, didn't like the way he was staring but it was due to a foreign feeling filtering her senses, telling her no. She reserved herself for this feeling, this feeling of heartache that was so raw and powerful she didn't think anyone could even numb it to a dull pain. She had no idea who or what caused it but it didn't matter. It was this pain she promised herself to clutch to forever; the only thing that made her feel like she was even alive.