ONE

BONNIE MILLS gasped awake and cried out as tears fell down her face. She clutched her chest, feeling like there was a hole the size of the universe permanently stuck there. She couldn't remember her dream exactly but it caused her to feel empty. Her body shook as she sobbed, the pain and despair from the dream still feeling utterly real.

She felt like something had been taken from her or she had been taken away from something, and the longing for whatever that was still lingered inside her. She laid in her bed, wrapping her arms around herself until the tears stopped and the feelings from the dream went away. But she was still empty and she wished the emptiness wouldn't fade.

Sometimes, the dreams felt like the only thing that mattered. The life she lived felt unnatural like it wasn't really her life. These dreams, this emptiness, felt real, the most real thing she had ever felt in her life.

_____________

Black was her color. Her mother wanted her to try some other colors, but she didn't really care what her mother said. She never felt a connection with her mother; after all, the woman was her adopted mother. She was adopted as a teenager and she didn't really connect with the single woman, even though, she was grateful for her hospitality.

Regina Mills was her adopted mother and the mayor of the small town of Storybrooke. Regina had adopted another kid probably because she was unsatisfied with the relationship she had with Bonnie, who was supposed to act like a daughter. Henry was like a little brother to Bonnie and she connected more with him than she ever did with Regina.

Regina was furious with the way the curse worked on Bonnie; the Evil Queen didn't even know Bonnie was her actual name. Regina had Bonnie under her care during the curse, just to spite someone, but Bonnie had rebelled against every act of parenting Regina tried to enforce on her. Bonnie was supposed to be a loving, dutiful daughter but she was just as troublesome as she was in the Enchanted Forest.

It made Regina furious, but it also left with an empty void in her heart without someone to love her. So, Regina adopted Henry and he filled the void that was left in her heart. Henry became the most precious person to her.

She was terrified of anyone taking him away or turning him against her. So, of course, Regina immediately hated Emma Swan whom was Henry's biological mother.

Henry had brought Emma to Storybrooke on her twenty-eighth birthday. He brought her there to break a curse and to get him away from his adopted mother whom he thought was the Evil Queen.

When Emma had left the Mills Residence and Henry had gone to bed, Bonnie ghosted into the kitchen where Regina was taking a swig of alcohol from a glass. When Regina saw her, the older woman jumped. Regina grew a scowl, hating how Bonnie was always so silent.

"What did I tell you about sneaking up on people?" Regina lectured.

"Not to do it. But I, technically, wasn't sneaking," Bonnie smiled, making Regina roll her eyes.

"What, Bonnie?"

"You know, you're not a bad mother," Bonnie started, which made Regina squint her eyes at her suspiciously. "Henry's going to see that, too. He may think you're an Evil Queen, but you are good to him and to me."

"Why would you say this? You don't follow anything I say," Regina questioned.

"I'm sorry. I am thankful for you taking me in, but it's just this feeling I have," Bonnie answered and looked down in thought. "Like I'm not supposed to be here."

Regina's eyes widened that Bonnie would feel any such thing. Bonnie then smiled at Regina, "I'll talk to Henry on your behalf."

Then Bonnie walked away and headed upstairs, leaving Regina with suspicions about the eighteen year old girl and who exactly she was back in the Enchanted Forest, if that was even the land she was from. The only one that would have any answers was Rumplestiltskin.

____________

A young Bonnie, only thirteen, was dropped into the ocean close to the shore. She swam to it and crawled out of the water while coughing up water. Once she got the water out of her lungs, her fist pounded the wet sand over and over again in frustration as she looked up at the sky, watching as the shadow flew away.

"Clyde! I'm so sorry, Clyde," she cried, tears running down her sandy cheeks. "I hope you don't do anything reckless. Let karma hurt Pan, not you."

She pushed herself up from the ground. She looked down at her wet clothes before closing her eyes in concentration. She felt the power within her and she harnessed it. She smiled when she felt the soft, dryness of her clothes.

Bonnie looked at the imposing forest lining the shore. She took a deep breath and walked into it, determined to find her way back to Clyde, no matter what cost.