16: Ayo Macaque Who Gotchu Smilin' Like That???

A/N: I've been debating on whether or not it's too early in the book for this kind of chapter but.... in the end, I decided you guys were ready. (Also, I've made a playlist for this book. Note that all of the songs aren't in accordance with the chapters, and some of the songs are describing how the characters in the book feel or act. A link will be at the end of the chapter.)

======

Macaque sighed gleefully as he jumped from house to house. He could've just teleported, but he was feeling good today. Everything was going to plan, he hasn't seen Wukong in a while and now, he gets to end his day with one of his favorite people. The thought of you made him unknowingly smile to himself. Macaque chuckled breathily and shook his head. With one last leap, he landed on the roof of your house. He casually strolled over to your chimney and poked his head inside with his hands on his hips,

"Oh Plum! I'm back home!" He sang. No response. He shrugged to himself; you probably didn't hear him. Without a second thought, Macaque jumped down the chimney. When he landed in your fireplace, he was covered in soot. "Jeez Y/N how long has it been since you cleaned your ch-" he cut himself short when he heard a small sniffle. Quickly shaking the soot out of his fur, he made his way to the source of the sound. His eyes widened at what he found. There, on the couch, sat his best friend crying softly. Macaque didn't waste any time snuggling into your side; causing you to stiffen.

"Hey plum, what's wrong?" he said softly. You sniffled and wiped some of your off with your sleeve. "It's dumb really. Sorry, you had to come in on me like this," you laughed awkwardly. Macaque furrowed his eyebrows. He grabbed your chin, gently making you face him. "Hey, listen to me. Don't ever undermine your problems or call them stupid, if it's making you cry then it's obviously important. You're allowed to be sad Y/N, it's ok." You hiccupped and looked away. "Sorry," you mumbled. Macaque sighed and let go of your chin "Don't be sorry, Plum. Just tell me what happened." 

You inhaled shakily before starting to speak. "Well, I was baking some cookies," you began. Macaque nodded, gesturing you to continue. "When all of a sudden there's a knock on the door. At first, I thought it had to be you or my parents, but when I opened the door there was a mailman!" Macaque smiled a bit at your change in mood and urged you to continue. "The mailman said he was here looking for a package, but I didn't believe him, so he told me to turn around! And when I look back at him, he had transformed into Monkey King! Crazy, right?!"

Macaque felt his fists tighten at the mention of Wukong but nodded anyways. "So, he comes up in my house talkin' about how dangerous you were, but I didn't believe him for a second." You crossed your arms and turned away to emphasize your point. "But then, I remembered what you told me about Wukong and how he treated you! So, then I got all mad. It's not nice to be mean to someone and then talk trash about them, especially if it's someone like you, Macaque. So, I had to defend your honor! And I told him, I was like, 'Listen, man, maybe you're the reason he's dangerous!' and then he got all mad and stormed out of the place!" you yelled. On the inside, Macaque was fuming.

But he didn't want you to think he was mad at you or something, so he kept it to himself. He chuckles a bit before saying something. "Thanks for defending me Y/N." Your mood lifts at his words and you grin. "It was the least I could do for my best friend!" you beam. Macaque looks away flustered and scratches the back of his neck. "Y'know, I haven't had anyone do as much as you have for me in a long time Y/N." he chuckled. Hearing this you pipe up. "Really?" you tilted your head. "Yeah," Macaque laughed, seeming unfazed by his confession. You furrowed your eyebrows at this. Who wouldn't want to do nice things for Macaque? He was one of the nicest people you had ever met. Suddenly you take Macaque's cheeks in your hands, taking the monkey by surprise. 

"Huh? What're you doing?" he stopped talking when you pressed a kiss to his nose.

 Everything stopped. Macaque felt as if he was going to die at any second. Did you just kiss him? His hands were shaking, and his entire body felt like it was on fire. 

Finally managing to swallow the lump in his throat he speaks, "W-What was that for?" he manages to stutter. "It was a cheer-up kiss!" you say cheerfully. When Macaque doesn't respond you continue. "Well, I hated to hear that no one had done anything nice for you in a while, and I figured that made you sad, so I gave you a cheer-up kiss! I hate seeing you upset," you explain. Macaque felt like he was going to explode.

He couldn't take this anymore. With a reddened face and weak knees, he shakily stood up. "What's wrong Macaque?" you asked innocently. He couldn't speak. This was too much for him. After stumbling over his words for five whole minutes, he finally managed to stutter, "I-I have to go Y/N. I'll see you tomorrow." Before you could say anything else, he jumped into one of his shadow portals. "Oh. Ok then. See you tomorrow." you mumbled to no one but yourself.

🍌🖤🍌

When Macaque made it back to his dojo, he fell to the floor with his hand gripping his chest. How long had it been since he had fallen in love?! Millenia, possibly even more! He couldn't possibly be falling for you, could he? How long had it been since you two met, 9 months? "That quick?" Macaque mumbled to himself. He groaned and buried his face in his hands. He should've seen the signs! He can't be falling for you now, his feelings could ruin everything! But he couldn't just leave you. You were so naive; he didn't even know how you managed to survive by yourself for so long! He sighed and pressed his head against the wall.

"What are you doing to me, Y/N?"

======

1036 words 

Playlist link: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6Ea4fB5HHwUehmV2t3ihWC?si=82346bf45b9e4eb0