Chapter 23 ~ Shifts In Morale

Agent 4's (Isabel's) P.O.V: 

My chest expanded outwards then moved back in in synch with my breathing, which only got heavier as I viewed the destruction before me. My head was lifted slightly above of the ground, tiring out my neck from the strain. Both Jake and I, who's body was hovering above mine, were heavily breathing. 

"Are you okay?" Jake whipped his head back to face me, locking eyes with me. My head rested back on the carpeted floor. "Y-Yeah, I'm fine.." 

We both managed to get up again, Jake extending his hand out in an offer to help me up. I accepted, took his hand and raised myself up. I took a couple of steps to where the Octoshower had passed through and glanced down. We were pretty high up, and although it's survivable for inklings, the high still put a nervous feeling in my stomach. The split itself was oddly satisfying as it had managed to almost perfectly splt the hotel in half vertically. I was still able to see the other side of the hall that we were originally in before it blew past it. 

I turned my head around to look over in the direction in which the rest of the city was seen. Inkopolis looked like a mess of colors, with ink being seen visibly flying through the air followed by a couple of inksplosions. However, what caught my eye was the fact that the Octoshower was now resting on top of a flat roof of what seemed like a company office building. The Deluxe Octocopers that carried the Octoshower itself seemed to be resting ontop of the metal surface. "Could it be resting?"

"Where did it go?" Jake simply asked, holding his blaster with one hand and handing my slosher over with the other one. I grabbed it out of his hand, thanked him and pointed out what I had seen. "I see..Do you want a minute or should we go and fight it?"

"Well, it'd be difficult for the both of us to fight it. It'd be a little easier for you since your blaster has range to it, but it'll only get harder if it hovers over a street or something," I responded, not exactly answering his question. Scratching my head, I kneeled near the edge, not taking my eyes off of that stupid Octoshower. 

"I wish things could go back to normal.." 

Will things even actually go back to normal after this? The outcome could only be decided on by which side wins.

The image of the four of us shopping in Arowana mall flashed through my head. Sarah and I looking at clothes together, accessories, anything together and laughing. Of course Jake and Mike would be there too alongside us, also joining in on the conversation. I can't remember clearly how many days it's been since this war had started, but it's already felt like too many. I want to go back to going on date's again with Jake or even having sometime to ourselves once again. Even though he's right here next to me, we can't really cuddle or do anything of that matter, well, we could, it just wouldn't be the right time. I mean, our city is quite literally under attack right now. 

I wonder if both Mike and Sarah are okay...I wonder if the rest of the Splatoon is okay as well? We haven't really gotten much information shared between us. 

"All of this stressing out and fighting is tiring me out," I said in a soft voice, burying my head into my knees and shutting my eyes. I probably would've fallen asleep right then and there if there wasn't an explosion going off every five seconds. Hearing Jake moving around, I then felt his hand gently rub my back.

Agent 7's (Jake's) P.O.V:

Hearing Isabel saying how she wanted things to go back to normal made me think about it some more. I could completely understand where she was coming from, but I'm afraid things aren't going to be the same after this ends. If we're successful in any way and win the war, maybe we'd be able to hang out all of us or just her and I again with some alterations. But who knows what those changes could be. My hand rubbed her back softly as my body sat next to her, attempting to comfort her. I then decided to wrap my arm around her shoulders and pull her in closer to me. Laying a brief kiss on her head, an idea popped into my head as to what to say. 

"Hey, how about after all this ends, we go out to get something to eat and watch a movie or something? Just you and me."

Isabel glanced up and looked me in the eyes, though her face was hidden a bit, I could see a hint of a small smile on her lips. Her ears lowered a bit, reddening a bit as well as did her cheeks. "Jeez, somehow I still get all shy each time you ask me out.." She giggled softly. My smile returned seeing her like this again, it's felt like forever the last time we've interacted like this. "We'll just have to work hard to make it possible, together. Right?"

"Right." Isabel gave me a warming smile. 

"Right, now let's go kick that Octoshowers ass." 

We both suddenly stopped at the sound of super jumping and landing somewhere near us, maybe on the roof.  "Take down that Octoshower now! It'll only cause us more trouble if we let it escape!" I couldn't recognize the voice, but it was safe to assume that it was allied soldiers. 

After a couple of seconds, both Isabel and I managed to reach the roof, which to our surprise, was a smaller splatoon. Not ours, but a splatoon nonetheless. They had two chargers positioned behind cover and aiming at the resting Octoshower, with another soldier wielding a type of brush. The guy yelling must've been the one holding a splatling. None of them looked like they were very experienced in combat. 

"Ready! Aim!"

"Hold on!" I exclaimed trying to stop the commanding inkling from giving the order. 

"Fire!" 

Isabel and I watched as the two chargers shot, both strings of ink missing the now floating Octocopers. Worst part was that it now detected us, making those Octarians begin to lift and activate the Octoshower once again. The machine gave a loud high pitched whistle, almost as if announcing that it was up and running again. 

"The chargers stay here and give us cover fire! Try to hit those Octocopers! Me, her and you two will be superjumping with us to that roof and try to take it on in close combat!" I exclaimed, pointing at Isabel and both the splatling and brush user. The soldiers stared back nervously, before agreeing to the order.

However, what we failed to notice was that the Octoshower had already begun to charge up a sniper shot, blasting through the cover the chargers had, and effectively splatting one of them right before us. 

Agent 4's (Isabel's) P.O.V:

Everyone in the group stared at the rubble and puddle of ink where one of the chargers were now splatted, eyes wide. The sudden shock made us all freeze in place, but we had no time to be frozen. Mustering up the courage, I yelled, "WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR? LET'S GO!"

~

A.N. I came up with a lot of ideas for chapters as I type this, I might just stay up and type this other one. Hope you guys enjoy the chapter! :)

Word Count: 1265