Chapter 5 ~ Saving Our Friends

No One's P.O.V:

*While Sarah and Mike figured things out*

"Hey Jake, do you think Sarah and Mike are okay?" Isabel asked worryingly as she gripped Jake's hand.

"In what aspect?"

"Like in any way, emotional or physically."

The pair had noticed their intense aura, which mostly belonged to Sarah. Being her childhood friends, they already knew Sarah. Especially how she behaved when she was upset.

Sarah, when they were little and played together, got upset, she typically distanced herself from the people that got her upset. She did this in hopes to calm herself down, but it doesn't happen. The lime-haired inkling just needed assistance in feeling better, even if she was too shy or stubborn to ask for it. This behavior is really rare around Mike. After all, the octoling is one of her best friends, even her boyfriend, so no surprise there.

"She looked upset at him. Mike would try to hold her or something, but she distanced herself from him."

Jake chuckled, "I'm sure they're fine. This is Mike and Sarah we're talking about. Plus we both know how they behave. Mike wouldn't just let her be upset, he always apologizes when he knows he's in the wrong, no?"

Isabel nodded.

"I'm almost positive he's apologizing to her or helping her out in some way or another at the moment."

"You're right," Isabel said. She felt reassured.

Both Jake and Isabel held their weapons in their opposite hands. Isabel held her slosher in her left, while Jake held his blaster on his right. Isabel's right hand and Jake's left were holding each other.

"Let's find the refugees," He smiled, giving Isabel a brief kiss on her cheek.

~Time Skip: About 30 Minutes~

"Isabel run!" Jake yelled out, jumping back as a splat bomb went off in front of him. "Damn these Octarians!" The blue haired inkling cursed in his head.

He turned around to see how Isabel was doing, and from the looks of it, not good.

"Isabel! Don't charge! You'll get splatted!" Jake yelled in fear as he ran towards her. The yellow haired inking was charging forward with her slosher, towards an Octarian firing an Octoshot. At the moment, Jake's partner was at a disadvantage. Of course though, Isabel would try to swim in her squid form to dodge shots. Every so often a few hits would land on her as she winced in pain. As Jake tried to run over to assist her, he jumped back again, dodging one of the Octarian's roller attacks.

"Oh I see you managed to dodge that." The Octarian simply stated.

Jake had let out a sharp breath. It felt so weird to fight close range with a blaster, especially dangerous since it was a roller he was up against. He tried anyways while he made an effort to distance himself from the roller. As Jake jumped back and dodged, the Octarian tried to rush him, swinging and swimming.

"Crap! If he gets any closer, I'll surely get splatted!" Jake exclaimed in his head, his muscles were now aching from over exertion. He took a quick glance at Isabel, who was taking a lot of shots.

Isabel herself was getting tired and running short on breath. Even with these setbacks, she continued to rush.

"I'll splat you, you Octarian!" Isabel yelled out as ink flew all over the place, both hers and the Octarian's.

"I'd love to see you try!" The Octarian laughed, continuing spraying ink.

Then Isabel's armor broke. The red sparks flew around her as her movements were slowed down exponentially. The Octarian took this moment to charge forward himself.

"ISABEL!" Jake yelled out of fear.

They both shut their eyes.

Suddenly a weird misty ink appeared around them, covering them head to toe, and ultimately saving Isabel from the incoming shots.

In a moment, both Octarians let out a surprised shriek before being splatted. The Octoshot user was splatted by a roller, while the roller user was splatted by an Splattershot Pro.

"Mike! Sarah!" Isabel and Jake gasped in relief.

"We're here!" Sarah giggled, a proud smile resting on her face. Mike nodded along proudly.

"How'd you find us?"

"Well originally we were planning on finding the refugees," Mike started, throwing his roller over his shoulder. "But we figured that since you two were looking for them too, we decided to look for you two."

Sarah nodded, "We heard the commotion over here from a distance so we ran over right away to see who was in danger. Luckily we ran into you two!"

"Thank you," Isabel smiled. "You two just saved my life."

"You also owe me a spare ink armor can." Mike joked, making the rest of the group laugh.

The group of reunited friends, after their little encounter, went on to find the refugees as the war raged on.

Agent 8's (Mike's) P.O.V:

"Good job out there!" Sarah smiled. "They must've been really experienced soldiers if they gave you a rough time." Sarah was walking alongside me happily, whilst holding my hand tightly. Our arms swung in unison as we talked.

"They were tough, even for me," Jake sighed, looking over at Isabel worryingly. "Hopefully there isn't anymore like those two."

I bit the inside of my mouth. Maybe this wasn't the time to say that there was. It wouldn't help anyone. Sarah noticed my sour expression and asked, "Is...everything okay Mike?"

"Huh-? Y-Yeah! Everything's fine!" I smiled, quickly giving a reassuring kiss towards her.

"If you say so," She smiled.

We walked down the barren Inkopolis streets, no other inklings in sight. It felt too weird.

It scared me that this was only the start of this stupid dispute.

We still have a long way to go until a conclusion.

A.N. Two chapters, one day! Surprise! I decided to try something different in this chapter!

Word Count: 977