8

I lay drifting in and out of consciousness. Every time I would come around the world would spin and go black again.
I didn't realise how badly I was injured in the accident, I couldn't think straight.

At home, Serena turned on the TV to check the news before she left to see Cameron at Holby.
The news channel was showing footage of the accident.
Serena dropped the TV remote and fell to the floor. She could recognise the silver Mazda Bernie was driving to see Cameron. Serena rose to her feet and check where the accident was and grabbed her car keys and and rushed to the car.
In the car she phoned Fletch.
The phone rang three times before Fletch picked up
"Serena is everything okay?"
"Fletch have you seen the accident on the motorway bear Holby?"
"The ambulance team phoned in to say we are having some seriously injured patients in soon, why?"
"Bernie was in the accident, I saw her car on the news coverage"
"We haven't been told that she's coming to Holby, but it's best Serena if you make your way in, we need all the help we can get.

Serena had to take a longer route to get to Holby to not get stuck at the scene of the accident.

Serena arrived at Holby and rushed into AAU.
Fletch welcomed her and told her Bernie hadn't arrived yet.
Serena was scared that Bernie was dead, Fletch and Morven comforted her.
Serena was busy helping some of the minor injuries then a phone call came in to AAU.
It was Ian from the ambulance crew, he said that they have a patient who's touch and go at the moment and will need surgery as soon as they get there.
Serena put the phone down and briefed the ward of the new arrival coming in soon.
She knew it could be Bernie but she tried to hide her emotions from the ward. Nobody knew about her and Bernie, she was scared for Bernie.

The critical patient arrived on the ward in the worst condi Serena had ever seen anyone, the patient had a potential neck fracture, a piece of rumble in their chest and glass and blood everywhere.
Serena took a closer look and gasped, she couldn't believe it, it was Bernie.
She reached out for Bernie's hand and squeezed it. She could tell that Bernie was in a critical condition.

Serena told the porter to put her in a side room while they prep for theatre.
Fletch came to Serena he told her it was not a good idea for her to treat Bernie but Serena wasn't going to listen.
The theatre had been prepped and Serena went into the side room to give Bernie a kiss on the forehead before she scrubbed up.

The operation was underway Serena knew she had to keep her focus to save Bernie's life. Serena started to remove the pieces of rumble and glass from Bernie which had damaged some of her organs. Serena was starting to get more scared about the life in her hands. She took her time and started with the smaller pieces of rumble and glass then she got Fletch to page Jac and Sacha as Bernie was not improving.

Jac and Sacha arrived and were stunned to find the patient was Bernie.
They scrubbed up and got into theatre to help Serena and Fletch. They were able to assist with removing the larger pieces of glass but it was going to be a struggle to remove the largest piece wedged I'm Bernie's chest.
Everyone was working together to make sure Bernie was in the safest hands possible, but when they started to the piece but Bernie's condition drastically worsened, she was loosing alot of blood very quickly and her heart was not pumping enough blood.

Jac stepped in and said
"If we don't get this piece out of her chest we are going to lose the best trauma surgeon this hospital has to offer." Sacha also moved closer and started to get more hands on and help Jac more. Serena just stepped back and Fletch whispered in her ear
"She's in the best hands, Serena take a break"
Serena listened to Fletch and slowly left not without saying one final thing.
"Please do your best for her"
Everyone turned to face Serena and nodded.
She left and began to clean herself up.

Once Serena had arrived back on the ward she headed to her office and closed the door and shut the blinds.
She needed time and peace to collect herself, she fell into the couch and began to cry.
She was without Bernie and after they confessed to eachother she couldn't bring herself to be alone.
She cried for a while then a though hit her mind.
She was going to have to turn Cameron's ventilator off before Bernie had time to say goodbye.

Two hours had passed and Serena had done some paperwork and decided to sit with Cameron in one of the side rooms, she slowly drifted off to sleep.

Until Fletch, Jac and Sacha had come to find her and tell her the news.
Jac spoke first
"Bernie's heart stopped and it took a while for it to begin beating again, we do not know the impact of it.
Also she is currently in ICU and she will be there for a while."
Sacha then spoke
"She is doing really well, don't worry too much. Bernie is a strong women she can get through this. Go sit with her we told Hanssen so you can spend the evening with her."
Fletch came over to Serena and gave her a hug.
He spoke
"We are all here for you."
Serena thanked them but she then turned to face Cameron
"What will I do with you"
Sacha came over and said
"Bernie never said goodbye did she, we can keep him here for a while longer so she can."
Serena stood up slowly and hugged all three of the amazing colleagues who had saved Bernie's life.

Jac, Sacha and Fletch's pagers started to beep, it was Bernie.
They told Serena to go in her office and take some time while they sorted out the issue.
Serena knew it was Bernie and once she got in the office she began to snuggle into one of Bernie's jackets she left hanging over her desk chair.
The night was a long one for Serena.