9

Serena was sitting once more in her office, the office she shared with Bernie, the love of her life.
Serena cried into her lap. She was scared for Bernie, she was waiting for either Sacha or Jac to come to find her to let her know Bernie's condition and whether she can go and sit with her lover or not.

After a few minutes Serena could feel herself drifting off to sleep. Serena was snuggled in one of Bernie's hoodie which was a khaki green hoodie with the smell of Bernie's favourite perfume which was comforting Serena.

Serena layed there for over 10 minutes, she was comfortable.
He mind was starting to ease, she was starting to calm down.
Until it all hit her again, Jac and Sacha came to let her know about Bernie.
Serena slowly rose from her slumber, she saw both of them at the door of her office and she feared the worst.

Sacha came and sat next to Serena on the sofa in her office.
He explained to her that Bernie was stable once more.
Serena's face lit up, she couldn't wait to sit with Bernie, she wanted to sir and comfort Bernie.

Jac spoke which dulled Serena's happier look.
"Look Serena, she's not out of the woods yet. The next 24-48 hours are going to be touch and go."
Serena looked at Jac knowing full well it wasn't guaranteed that Bernie would make it through the night and the next day. But she rose from the seat and picked up Bernie's jacket and headed to the lift to go to the ICU.

Serena got to th lift when Sacha called her name.
Serena turned around to see a large group of her colleagues who told her
"We are always here for you"
Serena started to shed a tear, she thanked her colleagues for being there for her and their support for Bernie, even though most of them didn't know about her being with Bernie.

Serena stepped in the lift and Sacha also stepped into the lift, as the doors closed he turned to Serena and spoke
"You seem really close with Bernie aren't you?"
"I guess, how did you know?"
"Serena look at me, I am not stupid.
I have known you for years I have seen the way you look at her at work and how much you care about her now."
"Sacha, I guess I like her. We started to live together after her messy divorce with Marcus. Since then we got close and we are now together as of yesterday."
"That's really good Serena, I always knew you were missing something after your divorce and Elinor's death, Bernie is the thing keeping you going"
Serena was happy to know Sacha was supportive and that he cares about her.
Sacha came with Serena to double check on Bernie

As soon as they arrived at the room Bernie was in. Serena took a deep breath and a tear started to fa down her face as she could see the state Bernie was in through the blinds.
Sacha turned Serena around and gave her a tight hug.
Serena told him it was okay for him to check and she'd just wait outside.
Sacha entered the large room full of machines and the bed in the center.
A large bed with the decrepit body of Major Berenice Wolfe lying in the emptiness of the large room with only the whirring of the machines.
Sasha had completed his checks and gave the signal from Serena to enter.

Serena entered the large room with her partner's body in the center of it, she was scared and she took a deep breath and stepped in.