chapter twenty-one

---

---

BUDAPEST

Me and Nat arrived at Natasha's old apartment. I, however, was ordered to wait outside, just in case. With a scoff, some grumbling, and an eye roll, I agreed, leaning up against the wall as I heard banging. The pair were definitely fighting but both could handle themselves. They were literally trained killers.

After about five minutes, I followed them in. It was more than enough time. 

Nat and Yelena had a curtain around each other's throats, both quickly losing air as they lay on the ground. 

"What the fuck? I leave you for five fucking minutes and this happens," I exclaimed, waving my arm at the scene in front of me.

"Truce," Nat spoke, holding her hand up. They both let go. They stood. "You've grown up." 

"No shit," Yelena replied in Russian. 

"That's what happens when time passes, Nat," I added, also in Russian.

"You had to come to Budapest, didn't you?" Natasha asked. 

"I came here because I thought you wouldn't. But since you're here, what bullet does that?" Yelena asked, pointing to the marks on the wall. 

"Not bullets. Arrows," Natasha explained. "If you didn't think I'd come here, why'd you send us this?" Natasha pulled out the red test tubes. 

"You brought it back here?" Yelena exclaimed as she began walking through the apartment. 

"I'm not here trying to be your friend, but you need to tell me what that is," Natasha called out. 

"I already told you, Nat, it's a cure for chemical subjugation," I groaned, following after.

"She's right. It's a synthetic gas. The counteragent to chemical subjugation. The gas immunizes the brain's neuropathways from external manipulation," Yelena finished. She began packing up her things. 

"Maybe in English next time?"

Yelena scoffed, beginning to speak in Russian again, "It's an antidote to mind control."

"Real mature."

I snorted. 

"Why don't you take it to one of your super-scientist friends? They can explain it to you. Tony Stark, maybe?" Yelena asked.

"I kinda crushed him in his suit," I muttered. "Don't think he'd be happy to see me."

"Oh, yeah. We're not really talking right now, so..."

"Great. Perfect timing. Where's an Avenger when you need one?" Yelena complained, shoving all of her clothes into her bag.

"I don't wanna be here. We're on the run. You could've gotten us killed," Natasha hissed. 

"Stop being such a bitch, Nat. Yelena's trying to fucking help some people."

"Well, what was I supposed to do? You're the only superhero people that I know. That was the whole reason I sent it to you," Yelena admitted, watching Nat as she changed tops, revealing the bruises from their fight. I raised a brow as Yelena showed a hint of vulnerability for the first time since we'd arrived. 

She finished packing up her stuff after a second, letting the vulnerability float away as the wall rebuilt itself.

"I kept checking the news, expecting to see Captain America bringing down the Red Room."

Natasha froze, "What? Taking down the Red Room? What are you talking about? It's been gone for years. Dreykov's dead. I killed him."

I followed after Yelena who was packing more stuff up around the apartment. This time it was weapons

Yelena let out a short laugh, "You don't actually believe that, do you?" She watched Nat carefully. Nat glanced away from her and to the floor. Yelena stepped forward. "You really do believe that."

"Dreykov's dead. It took almost destroying the entire city just to get to him," Nat told. 

"If you're so sure, then tell me what happened. Tell me exactly."

"We rigged bombs."

"Who's 'we'?"

"Clint Barton. Killing Dreykov was the final step in my defection to S.H.I.E.L.D."

Yelena shrugged, "Simple as that? Where was Anya?"

Nat began walking back to the kitchen, "Yeah, sure, 'simple.' That's what I'd call imploding a five-story building and then shooting it out with the Hungarian Special Forces. Took 10 days in hiding before we could even get out of Budapest."

"And you checked the body? Confirmed the kill? Where was Anya?"

"There was no body left to check."

Nat went to walk away. 

"You're forgetting Dreykov's daughter."

She froze. 

I watched them carefully, grabbing the vodka Yelena had drunk from earlier. I took a shot. 

"I was in the Red Room," I spoke up. "Took another three years before I was out." I turned to Nat. "Nat, listen to her. I was her. I was chemically controlled for years. I escaped after you but you wouldn't listen when I said the Red Room was still very here. How do you think I have these fucking powers?"

Natasha went to speak. I didn't let her. I continued my rant. 

"It wasn't Hydra. It was Dreykov. I tried to tell you but you wouldn't listen. I tried to tell you Yelena was still out there but you just shut me down. What do you think I've been doing all these years?"

Yelena watched me carefully, surprised that after all these years I was still standing up for. She didn't know it but she was as much of a sister to me as Nat. They were my sisters. I knew nothing else, not for the first few years of my life at least. And those years had been some of the best I had. Until I had met Wanda. 

Yelena's eyes widened, "You were looking for me?"

I nodded, "Yeah. But nothing. Dreykov knows how to hide, I've not been able to do anything. He's a ghost."

The moment between the two of us was interrupted by an explosion. I grabbed the antidote as Yelena grabbed me, pulling me behind one of the kitchen walls. 

a/n unedited but i've finally updated (sorry!!!!) hope you enjoy