chapter six

---

---

Fury stood in front of us, a broken group as I took a chair at the dining room table. 

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing," he announced, tinkering around the kitchen. 

Lila ran up to me, handing me a drawing. I smiled at her, hugging her side. 

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asked. 

I looked at the drawing in my hands. It was of Lila, Cooper, Clint, Nat, Laura and I, all smiling and standing in a line. I smiled. 

"He's easy to track. He's everywhere. The guy is multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit," Nick quipped. "It still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans, though."

"Is he still going after launch codes?" Tony questioned, throwing darts. 

"Yes, he is. But he's not making any headway," Fury answered. 

I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare.

"Smartass," I coughed. Tony rolled his eyes in response. 

"Well, I contacted our friends at the Nexus about that," Fury told. 

"Nexus?" Steve spoke.

"It's the world internet hub in Oslo. Every byte of data flows through there. Fastest access on Earth," Bruce explained. 

"So, what did they say?" Clint added. 

"He's fixated on the missiles. But the codes are constantly being changed," Fury continued. 

"By whom?" Tony voiced, as a dart flew past him and into the bullseye. He glanced to Clint who shrugged. 

"Parties unknown."

"Do we have an ally?" Nat sought. 

"Ultron's got an enemy. That's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is," Fury responded. 

"I might need to visit Oslo. Find our unknown," Tony told. 

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that," Nat admitted. 

"I do. I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere. Ears, everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream up. Here we all are, back on Earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world. Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission. And whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this, laid in a grave. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard," Fury lectured, an attempt to motivate us. 

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk," Nat teased.

"You know what, Romanoff?" Steve replied, raising his eyebrows.