Chapter IX - Day III

Lexa

I woke up with a jolt. The sun was already rising and I couldn't believe I had slept so long and so deeply. I glanced to my side. Azriel was already gone 'checking the perimeter' I mocked internally. But in his place sat a decently sized portion of cooked rabbit.

When had he made this? How had I not heard him? My mouth filled with saliva as I pushed the questions out of my mind and gleefully ate the whole thing. I realised that I was actually feeling quite strong. My belly was full and the sleep had been revitalising.

Oh. 

I stopped in my mental tracks as Azriel's face came into my view. He looked anything but refreshed. Dark circles coloured his eyes and his skin seemed pale and ashy. The light that had sparked his hazel irises now seemed to shy away from him.

He was exhausted.

"Ready?" He asked, even his tone was tired as a foggy look crossed his features. Before I had time to answer, he already turned and started to walk away from me. I wanted to shout after him, ask what had happened and why he was being cold. But I stopped myself.

I had happened. I had made him run around for Gods know how long whilst I wept in the village cemetery. I had forced him to hunt dinner and stay up to cook it - did that take him all night? Maybe I didn't wake when he entered the half-cave because he never went to rest.

I stayed silent as we walked for miles. I felt a small disappointment rest on my chest when he never glanced back to look at me. I wanted to say something. Maybe thank him for breakfast, but each time I opened my mouth no words would form. 

Again my breathing grew laboured before his. Even with my good night's rest and his shitty one, clearly, my stamina was seriously lacking. Just how fit was this Illyrian? Surely he chose to fly or do his weird version of winnowing whenever he could. How had trained his endurance so affluently?

I wanted him to look at me. To do anything. He seemed so miserable. But, I didn't dare allow myself to wonder why I cared so much. So, to stop myself from overthinking, I decided to goad him. To play like he had done yesterday. His distraction technique had been very... powerful.

I swallowed as a shiver wandered down my spine at the memory.

"What's Velaris like?" I asked. And judging from the way Azriel suddenly stopped and turned around painfully slowly, I knew I had struck a nerve.

I continued walking, purposely not looking at him and passing by as if I had just asked the most casual question. But he grabbed my elbow, it was the most force he had used with me so far, and even then, I could easily remove his grip. Why was he so gentle with me the whole time?

"What?" He asked, his voice a lot more menacing than his grip on my elbow. I clicked my lips as playfully as possible, using the sound to mask my racing heartbeat as a warm shock creased through my body.

"You know, I just wanted to know what was so special about the City of Stars" I finally let my gaze meet his as a small smile played at the corner of my lips.

His eyes were hard, fury raging beneath them. His shadows had gone painfully still and even though it was daylight and there was howling wind a few seconds ago, the entire forest seemed to freeze, holding a collective breath.

I kept my taunting grin. I felt my heart rate quicken but it wasn't because I was afraid of him. I was growing excited at his reaction. The miserable expression had vanished.

I considered it a success.

And, as if he had realised the same thing, he dropped my elbow and cooly said "it's the most beautiful place in the universe."