Chapter XXI - Memories

— Azriel —

I strapped so much steel onto Lexa's body, it actually looked like she was drowning in it.

"Azriel..." she moaned, and not in the way I wanted her to. "I can't sneak around the hallways if I'm going to be a walking bell" she muttered as she removed the large Illyrian blade I sheathed on her back...

"She's right, Az," Cassian said.

"And I can't let you walk into that castle without protection," I argued.

"Let?" She challenged.

"Lexa" I warned. I wasn't about to risk her life all to be our tour guide in the very castle that broke her.

"I'll give you a minute" Cassian sneered as he clasped my shoulder and walked out the weapons room.

"I can do this." She informed me. Her voice was steady and calm, this wasn't a question.

"I know you can, but I..." Even if she was an elite warrior armed with unspeakable powers, I would never stop trying to protect her. I would never stop fighting for her.

"Az," she played with my name and I felt my heart stop beating. A part of me knew that she was manipulating me, but an even bigger part of me wanted her too.

"Keep Truth Teller strapped to your thigh," I said as I wrapped my hands around her upper leg and fiddled with her magical holster. I didn't need to do any of that, but I just wanted to touch her. "And the blade in the boot... and maybe the knives in your jacket too."

"Az," she repeated again, her voice slightly higher and more challenging. I knelt onto one knee as I placed her boot on top of my thigh and secured the knife. 

I looked up at her, meeting her gaze and seeing the strength within. She was everything to me at this moment. She would be everything to me in all my moments.

Her luscious lips parted as she took in my position, "I will protect you with my life." I swore to her.

A throat clearing behind me had me smiling at Lexa's blushing freckles as I placed my hands on her hips and pulled myself up. I planted a kiss on her cheek and turned to face the others.

My shadows had told me they were coming, I simply didn't care. In fact, I wanted them to see it. My family already knew how important she was to me, but I needed her to see that as well.

"That Cauldron," Amren said to Feyre, "makes the Book seem harmless. If the spell fails, or if you cannot move it, then leave"

She surveyed us all again, another slight nod to Lexa. "Fly well." I supposed that was as much concern as she would show.

I took Lexa's hand. She would winnow with Mor and Feyre whilst Cassian and I went with Rhys to his waiting point. Cass would then fly to the girls and I would scout ahead with Mor to assess the situation further.

Rhys and Feyre shared a tender moment where she promised that all of us would be fine. I felt Lexa tighten her grip around my hand at her words.

Rhys's gaze went straight to Cassian who bowed. "With my life, High Lord. I'll protect her with my life." He then turned me and I nodded. But it was Lexa who spoke.

She took Feyre's hand and her bright green eyes flashed with something I couldn't read.

"I will get you out of there." She said sternly. A promise to Feyre, and to Rhysand, to all of us, that if things were to go awry, she would be the one to get us out. No matter what. 

She nodded to Lexa and Rhys smiled at my mate. "The Panther of Hybern" he said wickedly. And then, we all vanished.

— Lexa —