Chapter XXIII - Pretty Lies

— Lexa —

With a voice I had forgotten I had, I told the Night Court that the ash bolt was coated in faebane and that my father could move the poison wherever he willed it to go. I had laced my tone with enough venom to warn my newfound friends that the King was not bluffing.

Cassian and Rhys hauled Azriel between them, his blood splattering on the floor as we went up the twisting staircase. I had to ground my teeth into the sides of my cheeks and draw blood to stop myself from turning around to see him.

To stop myself from running to his side and being with him.

And also to stop myself from unsheathing Truth Teller and stabbing it into my father's throat. I had no doubt that the magic he used to make the Cauldron vanish would do that to me the second I moved.

I needed to get the Book into Rhysand's hand... I wasn't sure how I knew to do this, but it was clear that the tattoo tingling my skin was not going to be too happy with me if I failed.

We stalked into the throne room and I felt my father turn to face me, his head cocking slightly.

The dais was now carved of a single block of dark emerald, the colour of my eyes. I turned to face him, a sheepish smile beautifully tugging at my lips.

My stomach rolled with nausea as Mor walked past me and hissed. I smiled at her and snorted.

The King said to no one in particular, "Now that I've upheld my end of the bargain, I expect you to uphold yours." From the shadows near the door, two figures who I didn't recognise stalked into view.

From the way Feyre started shaking, I could only assume that I was looking at the Lord of the Spring Court and his cunning friend Lucien.

Rhysand went still as death. Cassian snarled, and hanging between them, Azriel miserably failed to lift his head.

I allowed myself to glance at him again, just one more time. Bile burned through my throat and my caged powers ferociously whipped against the adamant wall.

I scoffed at Cassian who now watched me, unbridled rage like I hadn't seen before seethed from his pores. If I survived this, if he survived this, he would surely kill me.

They would all kill me.

My attention snapped back as Feyre glowered "what have you done?"

The King rose from the throne of cruelty, "we made a bargain. I gave you over, and he agrees to let my forces enter Pythian through his territory. And then use it as a base as we remove that ridiculous wall."

"You're insane," Cassian hissed, his eyes still glued to mine.

"Did you know?" Mor asked, her voice as cold as the blood in my veins.

I tilted my head and narrowed my eyes. She would certainly deem me unworthy of Azriel now.

"Feyre" Tamlin called to her, ordering her to step to his side.

"You," the king said, pointing a thick finger at Feyre, "are a very difficult female to get ahold of. Of course, we've also agreed that you'll work for me once you've been returned home to your husband, but... Is it husband-to-be, or husband? I can't remember."

The cunning friend of Tamlin's glanced between us all, face paling. "Tamlin," he murmured.

But Tamlin didn't lower the hand stretched towards her. "I'm taking you home."

She stepped back toward where Rhysand still held Azriel with Cassian. I had to tense every muscle in my legs to stop myself from doing the same.

I felt Jurian's eyes dart to my body. He had seen me tense.