Chapter XII - Night V

— Lexa —

I felt a gentle rocking and warmth spread around my being. The fleeting warm glow I had felt before now settled firmly in my chest. Anchoring itself to my heart. My body and mind ached and groaned as I forced my eyes to open. I groggily realised that Azriel was carrying me...

Carefully holding me to his large chest. I was suddenly very aware of how small I felt in his strong arms. Before I could try to let warrior instincts take control or bark something rude and satirical to him about being a knight in Illyrian leathers, I just wanted to stare at his beautiful features.

The light stubble that donned on his strong jaw, the warmth of his hands pressing into my body, his-

"Lexa" he breathed quietly as he looked down at me. His shadows on his shoulders appeared to be straining around him as if they too wanted to check on me.

Only to confirm how utterly weak and pathetic you are. My mother's eyes flashed through my mind.

He slowed his steps and lowered me onto a nearby rock, keeping his steady hands flushed against my sides. Though I wouldn't say it, I was grateful for him holding me, I felt my body sway slightly as I regained my senses and the memory of what had happened blinked in front of me.

I swallowed thickly as I remembered that cold slithering voice wondering into my mind moments before something as horrific as fear itself stopped right in front of us.

The fear of whatever those beings were sent ice running through my veins and I felt the numbing darkness desperately trying to claw into my essence. But I refused, I refused to let it control me again. So, instead, I focused on the excruciating pain thumping through my shoulder as it bled into my bones.

The memory faded and I blinked again as I registered him. Azriel looked so tired and I watched as sadness and pain fluttered across his hazel eyes.

Not knowing what else to do, I placed my bound hands on his cheeks, cupping his face and pulling him gently so our brows touched. He closed his eyes and I swear I could feel him tremble.

Though I knew better.

The warm glow in my chest spread to my fingertips, and I swallowed a small gasp at this foreign feeling in my body.

"I'm okay" I whispered, with a little strength and bravado that I didn't have. I moved my hands from his cheek but he gently caught them with one of his own and held them in place. Flushed against my hand, the moonlight danced on his scars making his hand look like it was wrapped in the finest lace the world had to offer.

My mind was still hazy and even though Azriel was still holding my waist, I felt myself sway. "Lexa" he whispered again as he steadied me. He moved his hand from my own, his fingers tangled with my hair on the back of my head.

With one warm hand on my waist and one in my hair, his body was tense as he held me firmly. I kept my hand on his cheek and I felt my lips part, I wanted him to kiss me. To pull my lips to his and seal the space between us. 

It felt different from before. In the clearing and by the stream, the air was surging with electricity, our movements had been fast and fuelled my unabashed passion.

This was different. This wasn't just burning pools of heat between my legs, it was a warm glow that started in my heart and spread all over.

The air felt heavy and his gaze was so intimate, I felt like he was seeing into the soul I didn't have. His lips parted in anticipation to speak, but I stopped him before he could say anything. I didn't know if I wanted to hear whatever was about to be said. If I was secretly hoping for him to say something in particular.