Chapter XI - Day IV

— Azriel —

I didn't dare to fall asleep. I kept my head buried in the crook of her neck, feeling her pulse flutter rhythmically against my cheek. I planted small kisses when I felt her breathing steady. I couldn't help myself, I just needed to feel her warmth against my lips. It was the only thing keeping me sane.

My mind was spinning out of control the whole time. What was that in the cave? What had taken such control over her body and my own? Was this her powers? The magik that had been imparted to her during those infamous 6 months?

No one knew what happened whilst she was gone. The most I had managed to discover was that she had been in the tallest tower of the castle.

I knew shockingly little about Lexa's life in Hybern. I had only learnt about her existence after Rhys returned from Under the Mountain. And that was only a few months ago. There wasn't a lot of time to gather intel, and it was proving to be more difficult than I was accustomed to. I didn't even know she knew how to fight. All we had heard was that she was powerful and different to Hybern.

Different how we couldn't of known. But, when my shadows whispered about her plan to trap one of us in Hybern, Rhys and I decided that now was the time to act. To strike first and bring her to the Hewn City. Suss out how deeply rooted her loyalties for her father ran and maybe use her to our advantage.

"If she doesn't choose to help us, then we will have no choice but to force her" Rhys had said to me before I left for Vallahan. Stress had taken its toll on my brother. Fear that perhaps he escaped one hell to only enter into an even worse one. Feyre had been present for the conversation. Her interest in protecting humans had prompted her to want to know more, to help in any way she could.

We had been waiting to hear back from the Queens, the Truth Orb was now safely secured and we had actually had a chance to win over the Humans Queens. But their slow response had set us on edge. So we moved to plan B.

"She's only 23" Feyre observed. A slight wonderment in her voice. 'She may not even know that this is out here. Maybe all she knows is Hybern.' Feyre was referring to our home in the City of Stars.

A home that Lexa did in fact know about. Though from her curiosity of wanting to visit, it registered that she actually knew nothing about the city. Maybe she had a vague idea of where it was, but apart from that and its name, she had no clue. 

Maybe when we return to Prythian I'll show her. Maybe then she'll see the similarity between her silky hair in the moonlight and the river Sidra at night. I want to show her Velaris. My home. My friends. I want her to see it all.

That thought calmed me for the rest of the night.

The sickly yellow of the morning sun trickled into the cave. Lexa released what sounded like a sultry groan when she woke, arching her back against me and stretching her arms above her head. I had to clench my jaw and wings to re-direct my blood flow away from my arousal.

As if realising that she was against me, her body tensed and she slowly lowered her arms back to her side. I had to stifle a small chuckle at her sudden awkwardness.

"Are you well?" I asked her gently.

"Yes," she replied, pausing for a moment before continuing. "The pain in my shoulder is just a dull ache"

"Hmm," I responded. I wanted to push her to tell me about the event of the night, but I also wanted to keep my balls and head attached to my body. Still, I had to try. "And last night? What exactly-"

"I don't know. And I don't care. So neither should you" she interrupted. Ahh, back to cagey Lexa I mused to myself.

She unwrapped my hand from her waist and stood slowly, wincing as she tried to move her shoulder.