CHAPTER 2 - ride home

we enter science class, kate beside me. jenna and i make eye contact and she smiles, waving us to come over. we walk to her science bench and i sit down in between kate and jenna. "jenna, this is kate. kate, this is jenna." i introduce them to each other. "nice to meet you." jenna says. they shake hands as i awkwardly sit in the middle of them, and the teacher turns around, starting the class.

i feel someone tap my shoulders behind me and i turn around, seeing betty move back into her chair. "who's the girl?" she whispers. "oh, this is kate." i say, and kate turns around. "kate this is betty brant, a friend of mine." i say, and she give each other a wave, both of us turning back around. "you're gonna have to introduce me to a lot of people." kate exclaims, and i nod in agreement.

we walk beside each other to the cafeteria for lunch, and i sit next to peter, kate next to mj. "go get food, guys!" ned says, and i stand back up, heading to the line. kate follows behind me, lining up behind me. "hungry?" i ask her. "kinda, kinda not. like i'll eat but i'm not hungry, ya know?" she says, smiling. "y/n!" i hear someone say and i turn back around to the direction of the voice. "wanna push in?" a guy says, about three people in front of me. "uh, no thank you." i say, turning back around to kate. "why don't you push in?" she asks, curiously. "it's not fair, why should i push in front of other people that've been waiting longer in line?" i say, and kate nods. "you're a good person, y/n." she compliments, and i nod awkwardly. "thanks...?" i say, and my phone buzzes. i take it out, tapping on the message.

_________________________________

dad

Hey honey, gonna be out of

town for a while. Don't throw

any big parties, and no 18+ things in 

my house! 

sure thing dad

_________________________________

i sigh, putting my phone back in my pocket. "everything okay?" kate asks. "yeah, just my dad. says he's gonna be out for a while. nothing knew though." i explain. "why's that?" kate wonders. "he's always out, doing- rich people stuff. who knows, right?" i say, and she nods.

i get my food, waiting for kate. once she's out of the line, we walk back to the table. i sit down, placing the tray on the table. kate sits almost opposite me, pulling down her mask to eat, causing me to stare at her features. plump lip, perfect nose. exactly how i imagined it. peter nudges my shoulder and i look at him , confused. "don't stare, idiot." he says, and i put up a rude finger at him, pulling down my mask to my chin too.

kate's pov

i look up as y/n pulls her mask down. wow, i can see why everyone's in love with her. perfect features, amazing personality too. i mean, that i know of- from these 3 hours. i pick up the chocolate milk carton, struggling to open it. i rotate it to find the opening, furrowing my eyebrows. "you squeeze open the flaps, kate. like this." y/n says, showing me her opened chocolate milk. i look at hers and do the same to mine, smiling. "ah, i thought... so." i say and y/n gives me an unconvincing nod, smiling.

y/n's pov

"want the rest?" i say, sliding my tray to peter since i already know the answer. "thanks, y/n." he says, picking up his fork from his tray. "you're putting it away though." i say. "so, kate. what school did you come from?" ned asks, locking his hands together as he puts them on the table. "i was homeschooled, actually. it look a lot of convincing to convince my mom to let me go to an actual school." kate replies, looking around the cafeteria. "how do you like it so far?" peter says, mouth full. "it's good, i'm glad i'm not sitting alone right now." she says, smiling.