CHAPTER 24 - nightmare

kate shifts under the blankets, trying to get more comfortable. "c'mere" i whisper, opening my arms. kate shuffles towards me, her warm body pressing against mine as she lays with her leg over my torso, her head resting on my pillow, above my collarbone. i wrap my arms around her waist as focus on her light breathing that i feel on my neck, closing my eyes after i turn the tv off.

my body jumps open as i hear a distressed gasp, and kate practically scrambles off me, sitting up. i quickly sit up too, turning on the beside lamp. "kate?" i say, pressing my hand on her back, seeing her forehead glisten in sweat. her breathing was rough and irregular, tears forming in her eyes. "kate, what's wrong?" i say, concerned. i place my left hand on her forehead, eyes slightly widening as she feels hot. "your forehead is so hot, kate..." i whisper, moving my hand down to kate's cheek, turning her head softly towards me. "it was just a nightmare..." she says, a single tear falling down her cheek. i wipe the tear to the side with my thumb, looking into kate's eyes as hers are on the white blanket sheets.

"do you wanna talk about it?" i ask, rubbing her back. "no, i'd rather not... right now. maybe another day." she manages to say, wiping another tear herself. "do you need water? i'll get you water, just stay here." i say, rushing off the bed. i quickly walk downstairs and get a water bottle from the fridge, walking back upstairs quietly. i open the water bottle for kate, handing it to her. "thank you," she whispers, taking a few gulps. she hands it back to me, and i screw the cap back on, and i lean over her to place the water bottle on her side. "are you okay?" i ask, realizing it was a stupid question. "i'll be okay," she says, feeling her temperature with the back of her hand. she sighs, crossing her arms at the bottom of the t-shirt, taking it off, revealing her in her bra. i decide not to say anything as i can see she's still a little shaken up. "you can just place the shirt on the floor." i whisper, and she nods slightly, dropping the shirt on the floor beside the bed. i watch kate as she lies down on her side, staring at the ceiling. "want me to turn the light off?" i ask, trying not to be too annoying by asking too many questions. she hums in response and i turn it off, laying down beside her. 

i turn towards kate, not sure if her eyes are closed. "i'm here for you, yeah?" i whisper in case shes still up. "i know, y/n. i'm here for you too." she responds tiredly. i smile, moving next to kate. i lean down a little, kissing her shoulder. i plant little kisses to her collarbone, up her neck, to her jaw, across her cheek. i predict where her lips are, moving closer. my lips connect with hers and i smile as she kisses me back, trying not to fall asleep. i pull away, laying back in the middle of mine and kate's pillow, grazing my hands over kate's stomach. i trace her abs softly, closing my eyes. "goodnight, my love." she whispers. my heart beams at her nickname and i'm lucky you can barely see anything in the dark because my cheeks are probably as red as a tomato. "goodnight, baby. wake me up if you need to," i respond, kate humming quietly.

kate's pov

i smile at y/n's new name for me, relaxing a lot better as i focus on y/n moving her fingers across my stomach. my breath regains itself, breathing normally. what was that nightmare? god, i've never been so shaken up about a nightmare. was it a sign? 

"you were never enough for me, kate. don't you realize that?!" y/n yelled at me, my body frozen. she moves towards me, my breath hitching. "sometimes i just wish that what you did or said made me happy, like i was actually in a real relationship. maybe we were just better as friends, don't you think?" she says, my heart pounding.

i shake what i remember from the dream out of my head, clenching my jaw a little. i focus back to y/n still rubbing her fingers on my stomach, and i move closer to her, turning my back to her. her arm wraps over my waist, still rubbing my stomach. it was just a dream, kate.

y/n's pov

i move closer to kate, my nose almost buried in her hair. i continue rubbing her stomach up and down, wondering if she's okay. kate sighs, laying on her back again. i move my hand away from her stomach, laying it in between kate and i. after a few seconds, kate's hand pats the bed, blindly trying to find something. her hand meets my wrist, which she pulls gently over her waist, leaving it on her stomach again. i smile at the simple action, moving my fingers around her stomach as she sighs deeply. i lay my head on her collarbone, pressing my lips against her neck. what a day.

4 months later

"i'll be back," i say to jenna as i stand up from the chair. i walk over towards mj and kate, standing behind kate as i wrap my hands loosely around kates neck, placing my chin in her head. mj looks at me, then kate, sticking her middle finger close to her mouth, tongue out, gagging. "shut up!" i say, as kate laughs. "you guys have known for like- 2 months? thought you'd be used to it by now." i say, mj rolling her eyes. "plus, as if you don't have a crush on peter." i whisper the last part. "what the fuck?! where did you get that from! i so do not like him!" mj aggressively defensives. "she so likes him." i whisper in kate's left ear. kate giggles, nodding in agreement. i feel someone tap my shoulder and i turn around, seeing will. "i- uh, was wondering if i could get help on one of the questions. my mates and i are stuck too." he says, jerking his thumb over his shoulder. "yeah, sure." i say, politely smiling as i disconnect my hands from kate.

"um, it's question 5 we're having trouble with." he says, sitting down as i lean beside him, reading the question. not gonna lie, that was the easiest question out of the 10. could he have not asked the teacher? i tell him what to do and he nods, picking up his pen. "right, that was dumb of me. thanks, y/n." he thanks, and i start to walk away. "oh! by the way," he says, making me stop and turn around. here it is, "are you free saturday? if we're still on for hanging out." he asks. "yeah, i am." i reply, hoping he doesn't see this as a date. his friends look at him, and he nods enthusiastically. "awesome, i'll text you." he says. 

i walk back to mj and kate, standing in front of their table. "what was that about?" mj asks, leaning back on her chair. "he needed help with question 5." i say, leaning my hands on the table. "the... easiest question on the sheet? the answer's literally right in front of you. hopefully he's better at making coffees than english." mj says, unimpressed. "yeah, go tell him that." i say sarcastically, chuckling. "he also asked if i wanted to hang out on saturday- if that's okay, kate." i ask. "yeah, of course it is." kate says. "where are you going?" mj asks. "not sure, he said he'll text me." i say, and the bell goes. 

a/n - please remember to vote !