yellow freesias

NOTE: Okay, so I accidentally skipped a few chapters in this story. I don't know how it happened but this is the actual chapter number 5 that comes after the last chapter i.e the 4th chapter aka purple begonias. Ayane and others are still kids in this. I'm sorry for the confusion. Please enjoy reading~!!

...
chapter five
.
.
.
yellow freesias (symbolize) blind trust

"Got it."

Sunlight slipped through the leaves, filtering the dust particles in the air as the trees stood tall and crowded, their dense green leaves casting shadows across the ground. Creatures of the forest sang quietly, hidden somewhere in the foliage while wild dandelions peeked out from the grass. Midst everything, feet shifted, fingers thumbing the cold metal of the rifle as inspecting emerald irises dipped downwards, then quickly sharpened.

"Why is it still alive?"

Ayane blinked, cradling the tiny white rabbit between her small palms. The soft furred animal moved its head swiftly, then relaxed when a hand patted the top of its head, offering comfort and warmth.

"Because..." Ayane began as she rubbed her thumb down the rabbit's long ears, a messy drawing of green bunny ears flashing in her mind, and she cocked her head to the side, lips curving into a smile as the rabbit nuzzled her palm. "I thought heroes didn't kill."

Her father's eyes flickered momentarily, a soft sigh escaping his lips as he turned to face forward. "That's not the hero you're going to be, Aya."

His hands moved, gripping the rifle and Ayane's gaze followed the movement of the nuzzle as Fujimo steadied the weapon's end against his shoulder, finger curling around the trigger.

"Mind the ears, Ayane."

The loud shot echoed through the forest, birds screeching in fright as they took off to the sky in flocks and Ayane's hold tightened on the squirming rabbit in her hand as her ears rang achingly. A bird fell from the tree before them, a clear hole ripped through its lifeless form,blood drying on golden feathers. Fear wafted off the rabbit within her hands, shaking and trembling while her father began calmly, lazily glancing her way.

"Two rules in this world, Aya."

The scent of gunpowder lingered in the air for a moment as Fujimo swung the rifle across his shoulder, jade green eyes darkening. "Either you kill."

His arms slid into a cross across his chest. "Or be killed."

She stared flatly as the stench of fresh blood and fear clouded the air around her, ears continuing to buzz because of the gun shot and Fujimo inclined his head, his gaze dropping on the fidgeting creature in her grasp.

"Do it right this time."

But I don't want to. The words came in her mind but refused to roll off her tongue.

"Papa..." she started, uneasiness slipping in her tone as she shuffled her bare feet against the fresh grass. "Do... Do I have to—"

"You've already broken our trust, Aya." She flinched, eyes focused on the ground as her father continued quietly. "Don't break our hopes too."

Her breath hitched as she jerked her head upwards, crimson eyes crossing deep green as she took a step towards him. "I promise! I promise I won't lie to you ever again—"

"Promise?" Fujimo's eyes flickered with faint amusement, and he shook his head. "Promises are nothing but just words, Aya."

The girl chewed down her bottom lip, peering upwards through her lashes as a hand fell on her head, patting affectionately, and she shifted her weight on her toes, trying to lean into the welcoming touch without releasing the rabbit jerking between her clenched hands. But the hand sadly withdrew, letting her roll back on the balls of her feet as Fujimo smiled wryly.