purple begonias

chapter four:
.
.
.
purple begonias: (symbolize) vigilance.

There was a sudden scent in the autumn air, accompanying the chilly wind. The image of the aloof bird flashed across her mind, its painful squawk filling her ears, and she barely remembered the same stench clouding around her. Ayane shifted on her feet, taking a small sniff of the alarming atmosphere as her gaze settled on Izuku.

He swallowed thickly, somehow shivering under his thick green jacket as he stammered. "Ka-Kacchan!"

Fear.

That's what it was; wafting off the green haired boy in waves, curling around them all like a dense cloud, and the other boy— Kacchan?— scowled heavily, staring down Izuku as if he was ready to eat him alive.

"Deku," he spat out disgustingly.

Ayane blinked, brows furrowing in confusion as she echoed back. "De...ku?"

Izuku flinched visibly when she uttered the word, but it seemed to catch the blond boy's attention too. Slanted blood-red eyes set her with a dissecting look, a scowl etched on the blond's face. "Who the fuck is this?"

"A-Ayacchan?"

"My name's Ayane." She answered coolly, leveling with the boy's heated glare before she peeked above his head, spotting two boys behind him. The sight of red-bat wings greeted her for a second, when Kacchan barked out a laugh, tiny fists planted on his hips as he tipped his head forward with a menacing grin.

"So shitty Deku is playing with girls now, huh?"

Izuku sputtered an incoherent explanation behind her, burning pink while the lackeys behind Kacchan chortled, throwing in comments about cooties and making gagging noises. Ayane narrowed her eyes, ignoring them completely as she huffed, hands gravitating to her own hips

"His name isn't Deku!" She stuck her tongue out at them, "it's Izuku, you dummies!"

The two standing behind stared at her owlishly, their laughter dying out, and Ayane smirked confidently, puffing her chest out with pride while Kacchan breathed out angrily, his warm breath coming out as clouds of white in the chilly air as he tightened his fists, a snarl tugging his lips.

"The fuck, it is! He's nothing but a lousy, good for nothing, broken Deku!"

"Bla, bla, bla." Ayane waved her hand in the air reluctantly, ignoring the hot headed blond who was busy grinding his teeth together as she glanced over her shoulder briefly. Izuku gazed back at her, surprise evident on his face and she turned back again, unconsciously inhaling again, only to find the thick scent of fear dissipating so she grinned triumphantly, brushing off Kacchan's murderous glare as she bent downwards, reaching for the fallen skateboard.

"My papa says barking dogs don't bite. So why don't you all just leave me and Izu-kun alon—"

A hand shot out, grabbing the jagged skateboard before her fingers had even grazed it, and Ayane's gaze darted to the snatcher, a frown curling her lips. Crimson eyes watched, puzzled as the ends of Kacchan's lips quirked into a cocky smirk as he held the skateboard between his hands, fingers digging in the worn out wood.

Smoke wafted out from his palms, and within seconds a loud boom echoed out in the air, the sound ringing achingly in Ayane's ears as she stood there, something cold pressing into the side of her skull as Kacchan drew his hands back, the smirk firmly plastered on his face as chunks of the skateboard fell to his feet.

.

.

.

"That big enough of a bite for you?"
.
.
.
.
.
Izuku had shouted something; but she couldn't really make his words out, too occupied with the sound of blood pumping up to her ears as Ayane lurched forward, slamming straight into the blond. Two bodies rolled onto the yellowing grass, the cold wind nipping at their noses and Ayane stiffened her muscles, ending up sitting upright on the boy's stomach as she raised her fist in the air, tears wetting the corners of her eyes.