Six

"Was that everything Elliott?"

Mom asks. After a few trips of us going back and forth we're finished lugging all the bags inside and upstairs. The suitcases were the most taxing since they were full. But once we got them inside we slowly unload them making things easier.

"I'm not sure. I'll go check the car."

We're both exhausted. Mom couldn't even make a move to get up from where she sat on the sofa in the living room. I know that even though she's made it seem like she is alright I'm sure it's not totally the case. She put her all into that house. Buying it and making it nicer for us.

I unlock the car and see there is nothing inside it. The trunk is empty too. Going back I find her quickly wiping her eyes. Trying to make it seem like I hadn't walked in on her crying.

"Mom you okay?"

That's a dumb question. I know she isn't.

She sniffles and then wipes the corner of her eyes on a piece of tissue. Looking up at me with those hazel green eyes we share. Their light has dimmed since this whole thing unfolded. Before they'd be filled with light and wonder for the future. Now that's not the case.

"I'm okay Elliott don't worry. I'm just sad thinking about our house."

"I know me too. Can I ask you something?"

She pats the space beside her. Indicating for me to sit as well. So I do.

"What is it, sweetheart?"

"Since this happen wouldn't our insurance be able to do something? Have you reached out to our home insurance provider?"

Mom becomes stunned by my question. She peers off into space as if she's trying to recall if she did this. Probably not I mean our house only caught on fire yesterday.

"I didn't. I didn't even think about that Elliott. Oh my, how could I forget to do that."

"It's okay. We've been through a whirlwind. Why don't you call them and once that's over with we'll get groceries come back and make dinner together?"

"Okay. I'll be right back. I'm going to get my purse so I can get the card out of my wallet."

She stands up and ruffles my hair before kissing my forehead. Smiling down at me with watery eyes.

"I love you. I'll be back soon."

"Love you, Mom."

Hopefully, they'll help us with a new home or even cover the damages.

I'm not sure how it works when your house burns down.

••••

"What did they say?"

I ask as soon as she enters the room.

She sits beside me.

"Well since I had a replacement cost policy, they're going to give us the cash value for the things that were damaged once I go in for a settlement."

"So they won't be able to pay for a new house?"

"No baby. It doesn't look like it. My appointment is next week so I'll find out more then."

I nod.

"Let's go. It's getting late we should go get the food." I tell her.

She agrees and we head out again.

Along the ride, I check my phone. It's after 6 in the evening. I wonder what time Adam usually gets home.

"Mom what time do you think Adam is coming home."

"I don't know he usually ends his day around 6 so maybe by 7."

We should prepare enough for him too. I know she'll automatically cook way too much though.

Grocery shopping is a quick affair. We picked up fruits and vegetables and snacks I like to eat or take with me to class. Things mom cooks for dinner and anything else we needed like the brand of coffee she likes. Pretty soon we're cashing out and I'm pushing our shopping cart through the parking lot towards the car.

Mom and I carefully unload everything. I volunteered to push the cart to the cart rack thing. I climb in then we're on the road again. We'll have to get used to this new life we're living.

The ride back is silent. I think just because we both have a lot on our minds. The roads are getting darker. Mom puts on her glasses so she can see. When we get back I immediately notice Adam's car.

He's home.

For some reason, this makes the bottom of my stomach jittery. We divide the bags between us and head in. Mom and I were given keys this morning before he left for work.

Once we step in I see him closing the refrigerator and drinking a glass of water. He peers up noticing us.

"Hey,"

I said.

Causing him to smile wide. There goes my stomach again.

"How was today Adam?" Mom asks placing the bags she carried on the island.

"Good. It was slow without you but it's Friday it's okay. You guys went grocery shopping."

"Yeah, and shopping for other things too. I'm going to prepare dinner now. Are you hungry?" Asks mom.

I place my bags down too. I'm sure one of them has the eggs in it.

"Starving. What's for dinner?" Questions Adam.

"I don't know. I'm going to just whip something up. Why don't you and Elliott go watch TV? I'll call you guys when it's ready."

"I was going to help you remember and what about the groceries don't you want me to help put them away."

Mom turns to me.

"I know you're tired. We've been running around all day. Go have fun. I got this I promise."

"Are you sure Andrea, Elliott's right."

He's wearing grey sweats and a black muscle t-shirt so my eyes are blessed with all his muscles. There is some intricate dark ink sticking out on his chest and visible tattoos on his shoulders.

Mom literally shoves us out of the kitchen. She must really want to cook by herself.

"Let's go Elliott your mom's made up her mind."

He certainly listens to her even with him being her boss.

Adam heads to the living room with me behind him. Sitting in front of the TV. I sit beside him leaving as much space between us as possible.

"What kind of movies do you like?"

He asks turning to me. I shrug my shoulders. Looking at the TV.

"You don't talk much do you," Adam whispers.

I don't at least not to others I'm not familiar with. Meaning everyone other than my mom. I'm mostly chatty with her. But that doesn't count so I guess not.

"Anything is fine," I answer finally.

"Is an action movie okay?"

"Sure."