Ten

"Thank you for the update. We'll pick this up in two weeks."

The conference room clears out quickly. I sit still with Andrea beside me. The last persons exits leaving us to ourselves.

"I can't believe you dropped that bomb on me bright an early this morning."

"Well someone had to say it."

"When did you realize Elliott likes me?"

Andrea leans back comfortably in her chair. She crosses her arms over her chest.

"Last night when I kicked you guys out the kitchen. Elliott was trying way too hard to help me cook which she hates doing."

"But that's nothing special. Maybe she really wanted to help you."

I still can't believe it.

"Then there's was dinner when she asked if we've dated. That was the first time I've seen my baby get jealous, and at me no less."

Wow. So that's what it was. It all makes sense now. You must be blind Adam it's so obvious.

"Okay that makes sense. I really didn't catch that."

"I know." Andrea says. "Anyway there were other signs I shook off at first but I'm positive after last night."

I sit up straighter.

"Why aren't you upset at me?"

This has been on my mind all day. If I were in her shoes and some guy was coming on to my kid whose nearly twice their age, I'm not so sure I'd be so calm about it. She's a better person than I give her credit.

"Well it's not really about me is it. Elliott is 25, so she's old enough to make decisions about her love life. I want what's best for her of course, like any mother would for their child, but she's not a child anymore, as much as I still want her to be. And, it's you. I know you Adam probably more personally than I should so if it were anybody else it'd be different."

"You're a good mother, you know that right? I don't know if I would be so rational if I were in your position."

"I know I am. As long as my baby is happy that's all that matters to me. Who knows maybe this is the reason our house burned down. So you two could find each other."

"That's all I want too for Elliott to be happy. I know I haven't known Elliott long but belive me I want the same thing, her happiness. That's one amazing silver lining if I ever heard one."

Andrea touched my face then suddenly started pinching my cheek.

"Hey! What this for? That's my face you're pulling!"

"I know. Keep in mind if you hurt my baby I know where you live, no even better I live in your house."

Why did that sound like a threat?

"Alright I get it. Come on let's have lunch. It's on me."

I stand up picking up my blazer which I'd taken off at some point during the meeting.

"Yes boss. Don't complain when I get something expensive."

••••

"Today was an eventful one."

Andrea sighs. We just arrived home. It's a little before seven-thirty. Traffic was a little heavy tonight.

"Tell me about it. You think Elliott is home?" I ask.

"Maybe she usually ends around five on Thursdays."

Andrea goes an deposit the empy coffee cup into the sink.

"I'm gonna go shower."

"Yeah have fun."

She leave me downstairs. I guess I'll go knock on her door. Maybe she's in her room. I climb the stairs two at a time courtesy of my extra long legs. Heading to Elliotts room. I kno
ck lightly not wanting to startle her.

"Mom is that you?"

"No its me. Can I come in?"

"Come in.