Episode 1

Valerie's days are routine, wake up at six in the morning, take a shower, and get dressed. She makes breakfast for herself and her roommate before going down to their apartment lobby and checking her mailbox. Valerie takes out the mail and reads an envelope for her student loans. Opening the envelope, she sees her interest has increased and has fallen behind on her monthly payments. Annoyed, Valerie puts the mail in her backpack, enters the parking lot, goes to her car, and drives off to work. Luckily, she has enough time to stop by Books & Coffee Villa, a small two-story bookstore with a small coffee station at the entrance. She greets Kyle, the main barista of the coffee shop.

KYLE: Good morning, Valerie!

VALERIE: Hey Kyle.

Valerie makes her order and goes off to look out a small window while waiting for her drink. While looking out, the sky is full of grey clouds, but the sun peeks through the cracks letting a pleasant warmth come in. Valerie takes a deep breath as Kyle calls for her to pick up her drink. She waves goodbye to Kyle, leaves the bookstore, and drives straight to work. For the past three years, Valerie has worked as an assistant to Levi Wells, the CEO of Westmount Mall. Two years prior, she worked for his father, Edward Wells, who retired early due to a terminal illness and passed away. Edward and his wife, Lorraine, married at 23, freshly out of college, and started his own business that grew very popular in his home state. Soon enough, Westmount's previous CEO wanted to buy Edward's business, but Edward refused. Westmont was impressed with Edward's marketing strategies that they made him an offer to become a partner. After a few years, Edward received promotion after promotion and soon became CEO. Edward became terminally ill around fifty-four, a massive heartbreak for Lorraine, who found comfort with Valerie. Lorraine decided to make their son Levi the new CEO of Westmount. Valerie thought it would be best to leave and find a new job, but Lorraine convinced her to stay as their assistant.

A responsibility Valerie takes seriously. Seriously enough, she makes sure to be at work before Levi to make sure everything is ready for the day. She parks and goes through the main entrance and walks towards the end of the mall to enter the employees' elevator. Passings by customers and co-workers, she stands by the elevator. While waiting, co-workers hand her folders to get Levi's signatures. After being given a stack of folders, Valerie enters last in the elevator and hears everyone talking about the Holiday Attraction.

WORKER 1: What do you think it's going to be this year?

WORKER 2: Probably the same as last year.

Valerie leans against the wall, keeping to herself.

The mall has four floors; the first three are for retail stores and the top floor for store managers and other corporate employees. Everyone exits on the fourth floor, and Valerie walks down a hallway to her desk in front of Levi's office. She puts her backpack down as well as her drink. Levi's right-hand man, Jason Miller, comes out of Levi's office and approaches Valerie with a folder.

JASON: Hey, Valerie.

VALERIE: Morning, Jason.

JASON: Good news, Levi got the collaboration with Mantix. He wants you to add their name to the catalog for next month.

VALERIE: Sounds good.

Valerie takes a seat and starts looking through the papers in the folder.

JASON: He also wants you to make copies to give to the new managers.

VALERIE: Wait, Jason. I can't start without their signatures.

Valerie tries handing the folder back to him.

JASON: Levi said everything was in there.

Jason points to the file.

VALERIE: I'll get their signature.