Warm

The air was warming up and the sky was joyus with spring birds and gentle rain.

Saga was helping prepare the ships for the long embarkment to be held. Since Ragnar agreed to take her to Paris Ivar had never wanted to go so badly. He knew Saga could watch out for herself but he felt a deep need to watch over her too. Ivar was scared, he didn't want to admit how Saga made him feel, he didn't want her to treat him differently.

The anguish in the air between them two was extreme, and nobody knew why Ivar was so reluctant to Saga.

As the ships were being prepared for the Paris raid Ivar felt a sense to clear things up with Saga, since they would be stuck on a ship together for a long increment of time. Ubba also cared for Saga, he admired the presence she had and how straightforward she was. Björn had taken a liking to her beauty, and had yet to really speak with her.

As Saga approached the ships she caught Ivar's attention, she smiled a delicate smile at him and he actually returned her the same. She was excited for this raid, to be on the sea and to get to know the sons of Ragnar.
She checked the ropes tugging on them making sure they were tightened properly for the journey.

"Are you a boat builder now?" playfully questioned Björn.
Saga chuckled, "Just only making sure no one has cut our ropes, you never know." She smirked at him.

"That's not typically a boat builders job." Björn laughed.

"Then I guess I'm not a boat builder." She grinned making playful conversation.

Hvitserk watched them and decided to break their conversation. "Saga can you help me with these crates?"
Saga looked his direction, "Are they too heavy for you prince?" Her eyes sparkled with humor.

He rolled his eyes and smiled at her. She stacked two crates and carried them to the ship, Björn politely took them from her hands to set them in a corner of the ship. "Thank you." She smiled
"Of course." Björn said with gentle eyes.

Ivar noticed how close they were, eyes locked and it bothered him. Mostly because their relationship was his fault as he always pushed her away. Afraid of how she might feel about him, or maybe she feels nothing at all. He's not like his brothers. What could he offer her?

"Are you delighted that my father decided to let you join our raid to Paris?" Ivar yelled to her as he was sitting at the far end of the dock.

She looked his way, gleaming because she was happy he was speaking to her. "More than ever Ivar. I figured he'd come around to letting me join. How about you? Ragnar told me he was nervous about you accompanying us."
Ivar gazed at her face, he rarely ever looked at her but now he took notice to how green her eyes were, and what a sharp red her hair was.

"Very delighted Saga. Either way he has no choice. I am a Prince too." Typical Ivar she thought, always cocky.
She sat beside him, " I am nervous about you too, Ivar. Not because I think you're weak, you are not a hindrance, but because I care deeply for you."

He stared at her, he spent so much time pushing her away and not paying attention to how much she cared.

"Why do you care so much?" He said his voice low.

"Because I see myself when I see you, someone misunderstand and someone treated differently based off of judgment. You aren't weak, I think you are overlooked. So was I." She looked at him and smiled softly.

"We are not the same." His eyes fell and he crawled off leaving her feeling off out and confused. Why did he always do that to her? Any connection that was made Ivar sharply cut it off.

She sighed standing to her feet walking towards Ubba who was at the end of the dock handing things to Hvitserk. He looked at her face puzzled and wondering what happened.

"What was that about?" Ubba questioned her.

"I do not know, every advance I make seems to destroy whatever is left with our friendship." She sighed and picked up some wooden crates to hand to Hvitserk.

"Maybe you should make advances else where." He said while looking into the wooden crates, Saga smiled, wondering what that truly meant.

She was still figuring out her place here, maybe this raid will help her find it. Maybe the advances she should be making are truly somewhere else. On this raid which will be happening soon. She couldn't wait to feel like herself again. But she was also very cautious about spending these months on a ship with Ivar, which she thinks he hates her and she can't figure out why.

The warm air blew through her hair as she looked at the sunny sky. She was ready for this journey but she wasn't prepared to deal with Ivar. He made her feel unwelcome this past month.

Ubba and Saga walked together to the Hall of Katteget, their pace matched and standing side to side. They were going to talk to Ragnar and earl Harold about how the ships were prepared.

"I'm sorry for the one time you put me to bed when I was drunk. I promise I'm not usually like that drunk." Ubba looked at her meeting her eyes with his. "It's okay Ubba, I don't look down on you for it." She said giving him a reassuring smile.

He lowered his head as they continued their walk to the Hall. Their hands brushed together but neither of them commented on it. Ubba felt something for her. What if all he did was worry about her on the raid to Paris, he knows she is strong but something worries him. War is unpredictable and the fate the Gods have planned is too.

The fate of this war meant everything to everyone attending the raid. This was left to the gods, soon they would make their sacrifice to the gods for safe passage and safe return. Saga hoped this would go well, maybe this would rekindle her friendship with Ivar. She has a lot riding on this. They all did.

Supriseeee it's me hello. It's been soooo long since i've updated this but i've recently logged in and saw how loved this is by alot of you. I plan to atleast get to the good parts since i have been writing more. Hoped you enjoyed any feedback is loved. ❤️