Thunderstorm

Rain slammed hard onto Katteget, thunder shook the sky. The sky was an intense dark blue and lightning was the only thing breaking apart the clouds.

This was supposed to be the day they we're to sail to Paris and the rain was making it too unsafe to try and sail out tonight. Ragnar decided it would be there best foot forward to sail once the thunderstorm ends.
Saga and Ragnar's sons were seated in the hall of Katteget, drinking ale and watching the rain pour severely.

Saga sat next to Ubba listening to the conversations going on around her.

"I can't wait to raid Paris, I've never been so far on the sea." Björn added.
"I can't wait to see how different it is. Different people and cultures. I want to learn about other parts of the world." Said saga in reply to Björn.

"I agree." Ragnar added spinning his drink on the table looking down with a smirk.

"Why don't we just sail in the rain father? we're wasting time chit chatting about petty things." Ivar spoke, stirring to get on the sea and to fight.

"Because Ivar, it is too dangerous to sail the sea. Why risk our lives before we even get to Paris?" Ragnar replied sipping his ale looking at Ivar.

Saga sat up to stand at the door, watching the rain and the lighting. The rain was so heavy that you could barely see through it. Saga loved thunderstorms, especially dense ones like this. She took this as a sign from Thor. About what she wasn't sure yet but she figured she would find out.

Ubba stood up to go and watch the rain with Saga. He really enjoyed her presence. "If only it wasn't raining we'd be on the sea, nothing but ocean." Ubba spoke.

She looked at him, his eyes were so blue in contrast with the rain. She noticed when the lighting lit up the sky so did his eyes. "I enjoy the rain, especially these storms. Soon enough we will be on the sea awaiting our fate to Paris." Saga spoke, looking out into the rain and the night.

"I remember once you spoke about your family, you never mentioned where you went after your village was burnt down, or what happened to your family."
Ubba said to her.

Saga froze, she stared blankly ahead, remembering the most awful night of her life. She never talked about it, so many awful things had happened to her.
"It was a long time ago, I was a young girl. A lot of my memories are cut short now. When our village was burnt down my father died with it. My eldest brother died fighting for our home. I managed to escape and only with my life everything else was left behind. And I never returned after that, there was nothing left to return to." Saga spoke sadly, sadness layered in her voice.

Ubba looked at her, noticing the tears glassing over her green eyes. He wanted to hold her and make a promise to not let something cruel ever happen to her again. He noticed how difficult it was for her and it burdened him.

"Then if you didn't return, where did you go?"

Saga took a deep breath wiping her eyes. "I would rather keep that memory cut short." She said quietly not wishing to talk about it any longer.

She looked into the hall and caught eyes with Ivar. She couldn't read the emotion on his face, if it was sadness or irritation, maybe both. She looked away.

"I think I will go to bed now, Prince. We shall meet on the ship." She half smiled and went to grab her coat preparing to be poured on. She said her good nights and started off into the dense rain.

Saga sat in the bath enjoying the hot water soothing her body. She closed her eyes and listened to the rain and the thunder as she soaked. She opened her eyes staring upwards remembering her traumatic past. After her home was burnt down she did not end up anywhere good. She wasn't even considered a person. She was owned.