Nine; Where Do Broken Hearts Go

Where do Broken Hearts Go?

Why wouldn't he have called me? Why was his first instinct to call Louis, the boy that caused all this trouble in the first place. Because Lou wasn't the problem, he hadn't caused the problem, Niall took her from him and now his heart was breaking between the two of us.

My heart stopped when Lou said her name, like a poisonous flower that he had smelled for weeks before learning of it's toxins. He looked so undone, I wasn't sure what to say to him to help him, I couldn't even help myself.

I reach over and take his hand in my own, sitting there in silence we deal with it on our own. It was nice not needing to try to calm him, instead we let the quiet sound of the beginning rain storm drown out all the worries around us.

After a long time he finally turns to me, "What the hell am I going to do?" he says. "I was done with that chapter, got over it, forgot about her and what happened. It's like someone is cutting open my healed wounds."

"I can imagine," I say to him quietly. "What do you want to do?"

"See her," he whispers uneasy with his own answer.

"Let's go see her then," I say spontaneously. He looks at me concerned for something but he clearly isn't going to share his thoughts without a poke "what?"

"I just don't think it's a good idea to put yourself between her and Niall." I look at him and almost break out into laughter from his words, scoffing I speak.

"Niall is my boyfriend, she left, maybe it's not a good idea for her to put herself between me and him."

"I don't want you to get hurt," he says cautiously.

"Drop it," I say angry with his sudden worry for my emotional state of being. "I need to see her too, to know what all the damn fuss is about."

It's partly sarcasm coming from me, I don't really care what she's about. She's clearly beautiful if they were willing to destroy a friendship over it but it wasn't what I worried about. The first time I had asked Niall about her, his face when her name came off my lips. She was important to him, deeply important and when she left him she took a piece of him with her. I knew this. That is what scared me, that she brought the piece back with her and now I wasn't needed.

"Lou please take me with you," I say to him, I know he hears the desperation in my voice so he starts the engine of the car. Driving towards the highway I still hold tightly to his hand--not wanting to let go because it was giving me comfort even in silence..

"Do you want to hear the whole story?" Louis says to me, I nodded because I want to know what I'm walking into. I nod because I know he needs to tell me just as much as I want to hear it.

"Believe it or not Ni and I used to be excellent mates, the best of them. We were playing one of the last games of the season when I met Chelsea, she was beautiful, I had never seen a girl so pretty." He stops looking out to check his blind spot then pulls onto the highway. "She was so sweet and funny, kind, soft spoken. Chestnut eyes that were light even in the darkness of places."

"If that isn't love Lou, I don't know what is."

"I was in deep I'll admit that, I wouldn't then I will now. Niall and her got along great, laughed, spoke it was good for all of us. I was so happy to have found someone that I could love and that loved to be around me. Things seemed to be going so well but when Greg left Ni shutdown, dealing with his mom and dad was hard for him alone. One night he got loaded, so drunk I had to carry him into the emergency room, they had to pump his stomach."

"I never knew that," I say in a whisper, he squeezes my hand at his side and pulls it into his lap carefully.

"It was a dark time for him I wouldn't be surprised if he blacks it out."