Fifteen: Peace of Mind

Peace of Mind

A loud bang on the door wakes me from sleep hoping that Brad would answer the door I roll over and tuck my head into my pillow. Within a few minutes I hear his footsteps, the door pull open and someone stumble inside. I can hear Brad trying to talk them down but then a loud smash from a picture frame hitting the floor. I stand from bed and walk to the door of the bedroom to listen.

"Just let me talk to her," Niall says clearly drunk out of his mind.

"Not like that mate, sleep it off on the couch talk to her in the morning." Bradley suggests but Niall just keeps saying no, over and over again.

"She won't answer my calls, she won't see me what else am I supposed to do?"

"Not drinking would be a good start."

"I'm not even drunk," his voice slurs

"You're pissed out of your mind and yelling at four in the mornin'," Brad laughs deep in his throat.

"I just go down there and see her myself."

"And what then Niall? You try to explain to her why you didn't throw Chelsea out of house the second she stepped into it? Or why you didn't defend her in the end, you let her leave that house thinking you didn't love her any more!" Bradley says in my silent defence.

"She left on her own," Niall says angrily and my throat is full or I would scream at him for it. I pull the door open slowly and step into the hallway, the second he sees me he just stops talking completely.

"Come on," I say walking down the hallway. I smile at Brad and he nods at me, "I'll be okay."

I take Niall in my hand, leading him down the hallway towards his bedroom. Pushing the door open, I help him inside. Sitting him down on the edge of the bed he sighs and kicks off his shoes. I run my hand over his face and he rest his head in it.

"I'm sorry I'm drunk love," he whispers.

"We can talk about it in the morning," I say helping him pull off his shirt. He kicks off his pants but not before stumbling and falling over twice into the bed. He crawls into the bed next to me, pausing and waiting for me to allow him to curl up into my arms. I let him rest his head on my chest and within minutes he's fast asleep, I on the other hand am not.

This is now the second time seeing him this drunk, to the point where he wasn't completely there or saying things he normally wouldn't have. I lay there just listening to him breathing and trying to figure out what drove him to this. I had been angry with him before, it had never driven him to drinking like this. It had to be her which only makes it worse. It means that in happy and in angry she was still on his mind.

not me, her.

-

-

-

niall

I wake up in my own bed which hasn't happened in a while, I'm not exactly sure how I ended up in my bed but I was. I roll over to see Sarah sleeping soundlessly on the edge of the bed, her hair pulled into a ponytail and eyes closed over. She looks peacefully and instantly I know what I've done to her. I had gotten so drunk last night, it started early when Chelsea told me that she was going to keep the job. She wasn't going to leave, she was going to stay in my mothers home and continue to taunt me. I picked up a bottle after that, drove into town and spend the night at a club thinking that would help.

When she stirs in her sleep I get up from bed, leaving her to sleep even more, keeping her peaceful. I wish I had kept her so untouched and peaceful but even in attempts to be a better person I screwed around with her. Broke pieces of her that I hadn't before. I close the door behind me after pulling on a t shirt from my mostly empty closet that only made me living away from her worse. Everything a constant reminder that I had let her down in her darkest hours. I pull the bottle of orange juice from the fridge and slump back into the living room. I crash into the couch, leather its warmer than usual. I lean my head back, kick my feet up and close my eyes.