Twenty; Heaven Knows

Heaven Knows

sarah

"What the fuck?" I say rolling over in my bed, my phone is ringing at full blast and it's two in the morning. The number is unknown but I groan and answer it anyways, whoever it is, they've called more than once. "Hello?" I say trying to clear my sleepy voice from my throat but I just sound ridiculous.

By the time I pick up the phone they've hung up but a soft knock on my door prevents me from rolling back over and finding sleep. Brad steps in and I've only ever seen the look on his face once before this, the day my dad died.

I came off the field to celebrate with him and Bradley was just standing there beside the ambulance completely frozen. With the look of absolute sadness smeared across his face, I knew the second I saw him that day that dad was gone.

That look was back and it was scaring the crap out of me, "What's wrong?" He doesn't speak he just walks towards the bed and sits down on the side of it. "What the hell is wrong?"

"The hospital called, Louis was bought in last night. He was in a car accident, he's not in good shape bug," he says the words but I almost miss them because I'm in the closet trying to find a sweater to wear.

"Slow down," he says taking a hold of my arm as I go to leave the room. "You can't even get in right now, visiting hours are over."

"I need to be there for him when he gets up Brad, I let him leave here after the argument and this could be my fault."

"It wasn't your fault Sarah, but let me get dressed and come with you."

"No," I say putting my hand up on his chest, I look at him closing my eyes before speaking. "I need you to call Niall, make sure he knows what happened and make sure he comes in. Please?"

He opens his mouth to say something, most likely to argue with me but he stops "He needs to know but I can't be the one to call him Bradley, not right now."

"Alright, take Liz with you to the hospital though please." I nod, "I'll go wake her up, just give her ten minutes."

I walk through into the kitchen and make myself a cup of coffee. I was shaking so hard I drop the cup on the floor, sighing I drop to the floor to pick up the pieces of glass. Brad comes in behind me, pulling me into a tight hug there on the floor. I wasn't going to cry but it seemed like just when things were collecting I lost them again, just like dropping a bag of marbles.

My breathing hitches as I relax myself into his chest, everything inside of me was on fire. I couldn't stop thinking that this was my fault. Bradley rubs his hand against the side of my head and helps me finish cleaning the glass up. "Let Liz drive to the hospital please."

"I can drive Brad," I say grabbing my keys from the counter but he takes them from me.

"You couldn't even make yourself coffee," He says pointing to the smashed mug in the trash. I nod and let Lizzy take the keys from him without fight. "I'll call Niall the second you leave, I promise."

Liz opens the front door for me and leads me down the hallway to the elevator in silence. I just wanted answers, what happened between the time he left and now? Driving quietly Liz wraps her free hand around mine and squeezes trying to bring me comfort. It doesn't help like I wish it would, it doesn't quiet my mind or ease the confusion and frustration.

"Are you okay?" She asks and I nod even though I'm very face from okay.

"Just want to make sure that he's okay," I say quietly and she nods agreeing with me silently. "Oh my god..."