001 , it all starts with death

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

DEVIL'S DAUGHTER , voidfaye001

001. it all starts with death

     WATCHING the sunrise on the rooftop of her house was a normal thing for Asteria to do. It was peaceful and quiet, allowing her to be alone with her thoughts. Thoughts that have only been circling one thing for the past four months. I'm sorry, Asteria. I love you. Be happy, daughter of mine. I'm sorry, Asteria, I love you. Be happy, daughter of mine. I'm sorry. I love you. Be happy. I'm sorry. I love you. Be happy. I'm sorry. I love you. Be happ- Asteria abruptly stood up, clutching her head. "Stop stop stop stop stop!" She shouted, tears of frustration lacing her tired blue eyes. "You're dead. Leave me alone!"

     Furious, she spun around and climbed down the ladder and entered her bedroom through the window. She quietly plopped down on her bed and closed her eyes, humming a short tune. Opening her eyes, Asteria scoffed, "She's only sorry because she was dying. She would've never said anything like that any other time." Pinching the bridge of her eyebrows, Asteria took a few a deep breathe in and released it.

     Before she could reason with herself some more, her door slowly opened as a strawberry blonde head peaked in. A soft smile was on the woman's face as she whispered, "Knock knock, you awake?"

     Giggling softly, Asteria replied, "Hi Aunt Jenna. I'm up."

     "I'm glad," Jenna laughed as she entered the room. Walking over to the bed, Asteria moved to sit on the edge of her bed. Gently grabbing her hands, Jenna asked, "You doing alright, sweetie?"

     Giving a small nod, Asteria reassured, "I'm fine, Aunt Jenna, and yes, I'm ready to go back to school." Taking her hands out of Jenna's, she lightly punched her shoulder. "No more lonely girl vibes from me," she teased.

     Jenna laughed in relief, shoulders relaxing ever so slightly at the knowledge that one of her three wards were doing better. "I'm glad you're doing better, Asteria. You know, I was always worried that you'd be stuck in your shell for the rest of your life."

Tilting her head slightly, Asteria questioned, "What do you mean?"

"Well," Jenna laughed awkwardly as she sat next to Asteria, "You were always so quiet and secluded as a child. Grayson and Miranda always said you liked being by yourself." Jenna paused as her eyes glazed over in remembrance, not noticing the way Asteria's nose wrinkled in disgust. Shaking her head slightly, Jenna continued, "I never saw you playing or hanging out with anyone, even as you got older. After the car crash happened, I was scared you were going to isolate yourself for the rest of your life."