003 , first ( non-death ) accident

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

DEVIL'S DAUGHTER , voidfaye003

003. first ( non-death ) accident

     SITTING in History class the next day, Asteria casually doodled in her notebook as she stared at the branches visible from the window.

"The Battle of Willow Creek took place right at the end of the war in our very own Mystic Falls." Mr. Tanner droned on. "How many casualties resulted in this battle? Ms. Bennett?"

"Um, a lot? I'm not sure. Like a whole lot," Bonnie stammered out in surprise.

Mr. Tanner rolled his eyes, looking thoroughly annoyed. "Cute becomes dumb in an instant, Ms. Bennett," he scolded, causing Bonnie to lower her head in humiliation.

"Mr. Donovan?" He asks, "Would you like to take this opportunity to overcome your embedded jock stereotype?"

"It's okay, Mr. Tanner, I'm cool with it," Matt replies, making the class laugh.

"Hmm. Elena? Surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most significant historical events?" Mr. Tanner asked in a slightly mocking manner.

"I'm sorry," Elena whispered, "I- I don't know." She looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

"I was willing to be lenient last year for obvious reasons, Elena. But the excuses ended with summer break," he warns sternly. "Now let's see if your sister will be able to answer this."

Before Mr. Tanner could target Asteria, Stefan jumped in, trying to save Elena some face. "There were 346 casualties. Unless you're counting local civilians."

Mr. Tanner looked shocked before composing himself, "That's correct. Mister?"

"Salvatore."

"Salvatore," Mr. Tanner repeated with a thoughtful expression. "Any relation to the original settlers here in Mystic Falls?"

"Distant," Stefan replied stiffly.

Asteria's lips twitched lightly as she finally looked away from the branches, only to spot Destiny giggling in her seat.

"Well, very good. Except, of course, there were no civilian casualties in this battle," Mr. Tanner informs, trying to one-up the new student.

There's no point in even attempting to try, Mr. Tanner.

Asteria watched as Stefan smirked lightly, "Actually, there were 27, sir. Confederate soldiers, they fired on the church, believing it to be housing weapons. They were wrong. It was a night of great loss. The founder's archives are, uh, stored in the city hall if you'd like to brush up on your facts, Mr. Tanner," Stefan replied back, making subtle jabs at Mr. Tanner.