Chapter Nine-Umbrella

Alas, it's thanksgiving. Jamie is in Ohio with her husband. Candy is with Justin (her fiancé) in Arizona visiting her parents. Lee is in Texas to see his family. And I'm home, alone, eating pizza, with Lee's dog, Carl. Lee asked if I would watch him while he was away.

"Who's a good boy?" I said, rubbing his head. He moved and put his head on my lap. "That's right." I chuckled. I clicked through the channels on my tv. I eventually put a movie on and cuddled with Carl until we both1 fell asleep on the couch.

I woke up, not even twenty minutes later, to my phone ringing.

"Hello?" I said tiredly.

"Oh. Sorry, Bug. Just calling to see how you and Carl are." I heard Lee ask.

"He's fine. I'm fine. We're both fine." I paused. Carl looked up at me. "Wanna say hi to him?" I asked. Carl's tail started wagging like crazy.

"Of course." Lee chuckled. I put the phone on speaker. "Hello, boy." Lee said. Carl's ears started moving.

"He's moving his head." I said, taking him off speaker and putting my phone back to my ear.

"How's your thanksgiving?"

"Good. I ate pizza for dinner, and Carl and I watched a movie and napped. You?" I asked, rubbing Carl's head.

"It's good. Miss you." He said. I sighed.

"Yeah. I miss you too."

"My family wants to meet you." Lee and I agreed to tell his family. So it's just his family that knows about me and our relationship.

"I would love to meet the rest of the Paces!" I exclaimed with a smiled.

"Well, from the description I gave them they think you're a lovely lady." I couldn't see Lee, but I felt him smiling.

"I hope I'm a lovely lady." I laughed.

"You are." He chuckled.

"Good. You're a gentleman." I smiled.

"Lee! Get off the phone!" I heard a woman yell.

"And that will be my sister. I have to go."

"Aw. Okay." I sighed. He must have heard me.

"I'll be home soon." He let out a small chuckle.

"I know. It's just hard. None of my friends are here. My boyfriend isn't with me. And I don't have any relatives alive." I said, crossing my arms.

"I know, Bug. I know." He said. "Big fat kisses?" He asked.

"Yeah. Big fat kisses." I laughed. "Bye, Piemaker " I said.

"Bye, Bug." I couldn't see him, but I felt him smiling. I placed my phone on the coffee table.

"Let's go lay down in my bed." I looked at Carl. I stood up (Carl followed along) and walked to my room. I plopped down on my bed, Carl jumped right on. I pulled my blankets over the two of us.

I picked up my pillow a fluffed it. Before I placed it back down, I noticed a small, purple envelope with my name on it, but it also said not to open till I needed someone. But I don't need it yet. So I placed it on my night stand, and fell back to sleep.

_______________________________________________________________

"Carl, wanna go for a walk?" I asked, the morning after thanksgiving. Carl looked up at me and wagged his tail. I grabbed his leash, clipped it to his collar, and we both walked out. I walked down to Marie's, she's having a good Black Friday sale.

"Hello, Marie!" I smiled, walking into the store with Carl.

"Hello, Gwen." She smiled. "And who's this?" She said, walking around the counter.

"This is Carl. My boyfriend's dog." I said, rubbing his head.

"Hello, Carl." Marie said, patting him.

"How was your thanksgiving?" I asked, walking around.

"My younger sister was being a bitch. But other than it was fine. What about you?"

"Lonely." I sighed, grabbing some pencils and erasers.

"Why?"

"Every one is out of town."

"Oh. If that happens again, come see me."

"Thanks, Marie." I placed my items on the counter. "I don't think I'll be home alone for Christmas. Ned said he'd be home." I smiled.

"Ned is the lads name." She said, scanning my items.

"It's his nickname." I said, taking out my credit card and grabbing my bag.

"Well, I hope I can meet him soon." She said.

"You will. See ya, Marie." I waved. "Come, Carl." I walked outside and walked back home.

"Let's get dinner ready." I said, entering my apartment. I unclipped him from his collar and he sniffed around, going into my room. He started to bark.

"Shh." I heard someone say from inside my room. I grabbed an umbrella and walked to my room.

"He- Ow!" Lee came out from around the corner, and I hit him! I hit him in the head with my umbrella!

"That's a nice way to be welcomed." He said, rubbing his head where I hit him.

"Lee!" I exclaimed, hugging him.

"Hey there, Bug." He chuckled, rubbing his large hands up and down my back.

"Oh. I've missed you! A week's to long!" I said into his chest.

"I know." He hugged me tight. He leaned down and planted a kiss on the top of my head. "I'll be home for Christmas. I promise." He smiled.

"You better be." I laughed. Carl ran back into the room, he ran out when I hit Lee with my umbrella, and jumped up on Lee.

"Ohh who's a good boy." Lee said, releasing me for our hug and going down to pat Carl. "We're you a good boy?" He looked up at me.

"He was very good." I smiled. "We literally just got home from Marie's." I looked down. Lee was on his back, with Carl on top of him.

"When did you get home?" I asked.

"I had a flight at 12:30 last night. There was a 2 and a half hour layover in Iowa. I think I got to my place at around 4:45 this morning." He sat up.

"Wow." I smiled and sat on my bed.

"Yeah." He stood up and sat next to me on my bed.

"How was it?" We both fell backwards.

"Good. Visited my family. You?" He said. Carl jumped up on to the both of us and laid down in between us.

"Well, you know... We, we being Carl and I, watched movies. We of course missed you so we watched all three of the Hobbit movies and Miss. Pettigrew Lives For A Day then lastly Guardians Of The Galaxy. I've never actually seen Miss. Pettigrew Lives For A Day. It was very good. You were very cute with British accent. Then I ordered a pizza and ate thanksgiving pizza. Then you and I talked, then Carl and I went to bed." I looked over at him and he was asleep. His lips were parted and his eyebrows furrowed. "Good night, Piemaker." I said, placing a blanket on top of him.

I stood up and went to the living room to watch some tv.