6: That Day Humanity received a Grim Reminder

"

" .... that's Commander Erwin Smith, he's the 13th Commander of the Survey Corps. They say that since he's taken over, there have been significantly less deaths because of his implemented 'long distance scouting formation'...! " Eren blabbered enthusiastically on about the Survey Corps to Mikoto, and not for the first time.

An arm hooked around her shoulder, his mouth inches from her ear as they were pressed up against each other in the swelling crowd. Had he not have been so caught up over his heroes, he'd probably have had the complexion of a ripe tomato from the proximity.

" ... and that's Captain Levi! He's 'Humanity's Strongest Soldier' they say he...! "

Mikoto had been dragged away just after breakfast by Eren.

Having been moved out of their Cadet Corps facility at the ass crack of dawn and moved to holding areas in Trost, she would have thought she could spend her hours before comitting herself to a military branch in relative peace.

Alas. The Survey Corps happened to be departing from Trost on an expedition. How Eren even found out was a mystery to her— he wasn't exactly the most observant of the litter.

" The mood's completely different from five years ago. People really count on the Survey Corps a lot now... " the boy in question commented, surveying (heh) the crowd.

" They symbolize hope, " a ginger-haired cadet who's name Mikoto never bothered to learn quipped. " That past won't have to be repeated. "

" The artillery has been improved as well, " the guy who always hung around her added. " That Colossal Titan won't come again, right? " Eren scoffed.

" How can you be so naive, you old married couple?! "

" Hah! " Mikoto snickered, muffling her laughter in Eren's shoulder. " Old married couple! "

The other two were less amused.

" Don't call us a couple! " Ginger cried, beet red.

" You two are in no position to talk about couples! " Ginger's Boyfriend exclaimed, equally flushed.

" Huh? " " What?! "

Mikoto and Eren responded simultaneously, though the former looked confused whereas the latter's ears had turned a nice shade of ripe tomato. The red-earred boy had puffed up, ready to yell the other two cadets into submission when he was interrupted by a familiar (to Eren, anyway) voice.

" Hey you there! "

A Garrison soldier cut through the thinning crowd with a large grin.

" Hannes! "

" You graduated yesterday, right? Mikasa and Armin too? I can't believe they really let you kids through, " the man teased.

Eren snorted, a wry grin spreading. Mikoto looked between the man and the boy by her side. Considering that Eren didn't go feral over a comment like that, she deduced they were somewhat close.