CHAPTER EIGHT ━ HIDDEN IN THE CLOUDS

the lan clan residence was located deep within a mountain outside gusu city. within the gardens of waterside pavilions, charmingly dispersed, there were long, endless stretchs of black roofed white walls shrouded in the mountainous mists year round.

if one were to stand in them it was like standing in a sea of clouds. that's most likely how it came to be known as the cloud recesses. the mountain was as peaceful as its people who were just as silent, each absorbed in their own tasks that lay before them. morning studies and sword practice were always the activities early in the morning and things hai-feng has come to enjoy over time.

upon his first time arriving here from a distant land, the male had trouble adapting to such customs. he wasn't familiar with the way things were done which led to lan wangji taking time away from his studies to properly teach him. with a bit of guidance, it didn't take hai-feng long to settle in with the lan clan.

there were members who didn't accept him, and to be quite honest there are a few who still refuse to accept him within their clan despite having called this place his home for over the past fourteen years.

upon lan wangji's request, or more like demand, he found himself back at cloud recesses late last night to tend to his injuries and take the time to rest properly. after having done as required of him - the man woke up to find the bedspace next to him empty and cold which meant lan wangji still hadn't returned. for now, instead of worrying, hai-feng took the time to take a walk before immersing himself into his studies.

as the male made his way down the gravel set of stones that served as a staircase, he couldn't help but notice how the mist danced upon the lake waters as if it were in some magical daydream. in the mist, his anticipation grew to see the meadows and sky once more, for their bright hues to begin their daytime shine.

a light breeze danced upon his skin, it was but the wind in calm meditation. back in his hometown, where he was no longer welcomed, there was no aroma or at least none he ever noticed. yet the calming fragrance here in the cloud recesses takes him back to the meadows just outside the gusu city where him, lan wangji, and wei wuxian would spend their time together in secret.

the place where stolen kisses and brief touches of affection took place. even with his eyes closed hai-feng can smell it, inhaling deeply like each breath is a time machine, and just for those precious seconds all three of them are back in their youth with lavender petals in their hair. he missed those days when naive and innocent laughter filled the air.

as he opened his eyes, the man noticed a bunny in his path, nibbling on the grass closest to the stairs. it reflected the caramel hues of the dawn light, becoming nature's glow amid the green. hai-feng came to an abrupt halt and bent down to beckon the sweet creature over.

after a few hesitant moments, the bunny hopped closer to inspect the human male, hovering its nose over his fingers as it looked into the palm of his hand, in search of a treat. the male chuckled, slowly guiding his other hand out to rub the bunny behind its ears, not wanting to frighten it away. hai-feng, much like lan wangji, had a soft spot for these small yet adorable creatures. who wouldn't?

before he had the chance to pick it up, a long wail pierced through the comforting silence that had fallen upon the cloud recesses which caused the bunnies to flee in a state of surprise. from the sounds in which the wail came from it seemed to be a bit further down the path. hai-feng wasted no time in investigating the cause of such a disturbing sound. as he neared, a pair of figures caught his eye.

when he was within range, the familiar sight of lan wangji walking up the path caught his eye before shifting behind him where lan jingyi and lan sizhui stood accompanied by a familiar looking male hugging a donkey. with a raised eyebrow, hai-feng met his lover halfway, the male behind him continuing to wail in protest.

"i'm not going in there! i just won't. i don't want to!"

"what's with the disturbance?" hai-feng questioned once he was in ear range.

"we have a guest," lan wangji simple stated, golden hues resting upon his cultivation partner's face with his seven stringed gupin clung to his back.

"why are you crying?" lan jingyi reprimanded him. "you said you like hanguang-jun yourself. now that he's taken you back, what are you howling for?"

"i like my little apple too," the ravenette continued to wail. "but it doesn't mean i want to live in the donkey shed."

"what nonsense! rowdiness is prohibited in the cloud recesses as written on the wall of discipline. stop it, or you won't like it."

"master mo," lan sizhui began calmly. "hanguang-jun brought you here for your own sake. clan leader jiang wouldn't easily let you go otherwise."

"there's no need to coax him," hai-feng spoke up gaining both lan jingyi and lan sizhui's attention who smiled at the sight of seeing him. "let him cry. when he's done drag him inside if you need to. he's disturbing the tranquil silence."

"yes," lan sizhui responded.