CHAPTER NINE ━ TO OUR PAST LIVES

past ᭡

━━━━━━━

"so, are you going to tell me where you were last night?" hai-feng questioned as both him and lan wangji entered the empty classroom. "you were supposed to join me last night. have you forgotten about our plans?"

"i have not. forgive me for missing last night's session. i had to deal with a troublemaker who decided to break the rules set in place last night."

"a troublemaker?" hai-feng repeated. "who was it?"

lan wangji sat in front of his desk, hai-feng doing the same. he rearranged his brushes and removed imaginary dust from the parchment that was placed upon his desk like all the others.

from what lan wangji has been teaching him since he arrived to cloud recesses - it was a rule to always be organized and neat. having been fearful of what might happen if he was to break one of the rules, hai-feng has been doing his best not to break a single one of them.

before lan wangji had a chance to answer the question directed at him, both males caught wind of two other voices speaking with one another. and from the sounds of it, they were getting closer.

"lan wangi?" one of the voices questioned.

hai-feng shifted to catch a glimpse of the class entrance. standing there was nie huaisang, if memory served him correctly. he had an elegant and attractive face, but his nervous demeanor usually shows through his facial expressions. it's no surprise that he takes care to dress stylishly as well as caring his paper fan around.

and standing next to him was wei ying. a very attractive and handsome male who often finds himself in trouble quite often. he's apart of the yunmeng jiang clan. they grew to become one of the five great clans. as far as the history behind their clan, hai-feng doesn't know much.

"he supervises punishment and is highly skilled. everyone is scared of him. but he cultivated in seclusion for years. we don't see him often," nie huaisang makes a surprised noise in the back of his throat once he catches sight of lan wangji and hai-feng.

the recently new cultivator offered them both a small smile and raised his hand in greeting. however, lan wangji glanced over his shoulder - attention only focused on wei ying.

"what did you do to anger lan wangji?" nie huaisang loudly whispered behind his raised fan.

as wei ying explains their encounter last night, which would explain lan wangji's absence from the night before, another one of wei ying's friends appears. jiang cheng. he wore violet jianxiu robes of the yunmeng jiang clan.

hai-feng often wondered if they were related but he's heard other members within the gusu lan clan talk about wei ying and how he was an unwanted child so his parents gave him away and he happened to end up within the yunmeng jiang clan.

hai-feng didn't think that was true in the slightest. he has found himself wanting to ask jiang cheng about the subject of his clan but never really had much time seeing as how lan wangji practically dragged him to one practice over to the next. perhaps he can catch him after class.

"wandering past curfew, alcohol, and unsanctioned duels are banned in the cloud recesses. you broke three rules on your arrival!" nie huaisang exclaimed, counting them out on his fingers.

lan wangji only narrowed his eyes at wei ying. if looks could kill, hai-feng is certain wei ying would be six feet under right about now. as nie huaisang and jiang cheng slipped away, the ravenette caught hai-feng's gaze briefly. as if having been caught staring, jiang cheng hastily looked away then took a seat at his desk.