CHAPTER FIVE ━ AFTERMATH

"are you injuried?" lan wangji asked as he came to stand near hai-feng.

after the lanterns had been extinguished and the screams started, the trio were faced off against the ghost that had caused harm to the mo family as well as the innocent bystanders. the thing they fought...whatever it was certainly wasn't a vicious ghost. if it were to kill every seven days then it could be ranked as a vicious ghost. that was the standard set by yiling patriarch. however, it's killed at least three people in a row. it's savagery was well over a vicious ghost.

hai-feng has had his share of tough battles but this...this was something else. his juniors, as well as himself had a difficult time facing off against it. the man had sustained a serious injury while preventing lan jingyi from getting hurt. it only added on to his old injury from the past. hai-feng's body was screaming out in pain but instead of informing lan wangji, he gritted his teeth and did his best to push it aside.

"i'm fine," he lied.

that lie tasted like poison the minute those words slipped passed his lips. he hated lying to the man who would risk his own pride if it meant keeping him safe, but hai-feng hated seeing him worry. hasn't he done enough worrying in the past?

"but you got hurt by protecting me from that vicious ghost and coughed up blood not long aft-ow," lan jingyi began.

lan sizhui elbowed him in the ribs to silence him, but the damage had already been done. that sentence alone only seemed to add on to lan wangji's worry who's gaze pierced through hai-feng, in search of an answer.

"is that true?" he questioned, stepping closer as his eyes scanned over his lover's form as if he could pinpoint the exact injuries lan jingyi spoke of.

"i won't say that it's not true...besides it's nothing serious. so stop looking at me like that," hai-feng responded.

lan wangji glanced over at the junior disciples who had dived into a conversation of their own before wrapping a hand around his arm to lead him away from the others.

"is it your old injury?"

here we go, hai-feng thought. this is exactly the conversation he wanted to avoid.

"lan-"

"tell me," he demanded, dropping hai-feng's arm. "you should have stayed at cloud recesses and-"

"and what?" the male hissed quietly. "anxiously wait for your return wondering if you'll come back unharmed? wondering if you'll come back at all? i refuse to sit by and wait to hear news of something terrible happening to you. i refuse to go through that again! if i can still go out and do night hunts despite an old injury then i will."

without warning a jolt of pain launched up his side causing hai-feng to grit his teeth; wrapping an arm around his middle section to press a hand to his side. the action didn't go unnoticed by lan wangji who's gaze lowered towards his hand before they snapped back up to his face.

"and what happens if that old injury gets you killed? stop being stubborn and let me help you."

the sound of someone clearing their throat cut the conversation short. hai-feng turned to find lan sizhui standing a respectful distance away from them.

"sorry for interrupting. ai-ting, should we go after that man?"

"what man?" lan wangji asked.

"the one who nearly got me killed," lan jingyi stated coming to take his place next to lan sizhui.

"he saved your life, you should be thanking him not talking badly about him," hai-feng scolded then turned to address lan sizhui. "yes, let's go find him and give him our thanks."