CHAPTER SIX ━ PAST LOVER

"keep your eyes open when searching for him and be careful," hai-feng called out as the two junior disciples began to search further ahead.

"you sound like a mother worrying over her children," lan wangji says.

"they might as well be our kids seeing as how attached they are to you."

"as with you."

hai-feng hums quietly before the two fall silent. the space between them was filled with tension so thick anyone with a sharp blade could cut right through it. what was said earlier could not be unsaid, hai-feng knew that, yet he felt guilty for the words that had slipped from his tongue not too long ago. thankfully, lan wangji was the first one to break the silence.

"when we get back i want to have a look at your injuries. after that, you'll need rest. you shouldn't be pushing your body this hard."

hai-feng exhaled out his nose. "i thought we had already settled this lan wangji. i'm fine."

"from what lan jingyi said, you were coughing up blood. tell me, how is that fine?"

"i'll handle it my-"

"stop trying to handle everything yourself hai-feng," lan wangji snapped, tone of voice faintly rising. a sign that he was beginning to lose his patience. "do you not trust me?"

"of course i do! why would you ever ask me such a question? i married you didn't i? i married the both of you and now you're questioning whether or not i trust you?"

hai-feng had tried, but failed to keep the hurt from his voice. to think the day would come when lan wangji ever thought he didn't trust him. at this point, the two had halted in their footsteps and now stood facing one another. the sound of familiar voices up ahead prevents lan wangji from continuing the conversation any further. the injured male is the first to drop his gaze as he pushes forward stepping into the clearing where, not only his two junior disciples stood, but mo xuanyu as well.

and standing opposite of him on the other side of the large clearing was jin ling and jiang cheng. hai-feng felt himself falling into a state of hesitancy. the others hadn't seemed to notice they're presence just yet. it wasn't too late for hai-feng to turn around and walk away; speaking to jiang cheng was the last thing he wanted given their...history together. unfortunately, as jin ling launched towards mo xuanyu with his sword extended, lan wangji took action.

a streak of blue sliced through the air, successfully clashing with jin ling's sword and halting any further advances towards mo xuanyu. lan wangji's sword, bichen, was famous in the cultivation world. hai-feng had had the honor of experiencing its power directly on multiple occasions when fighting alongside it. the hilt was forged from pure silver that was refined by a secret method, and the blade was extremely thin, clear, and transparent. the blade was long and slender, as crystalline as ice. it truly was a beautiful handcrafted sword.

the two men stepped further out into the clearing as lan wangji sheathed his sword. hai-feng trailed behind the other, hoping jiang cheng wouldn't notice him. unfortunately, it didn't seem like the gods were on his side this evening as his former lover spoke up.

"the second young master of lan appearing wherever chaos is indeed," he began as his gaze shifted over the man's shoulder before landing on hai-feng. "even descending in person to these remote mountains with only one of his cultivation partner's left. what brings you here?"