Chapter 14: Truth

Moonlight shimmered down on the dark land, glistening beautifully against life. There sat Alex, Charli, and Jade on Alex's bed in the dead of night, their only light source being the dim-lit moon and flames that danced upon a melting candlestick.

"So, we're gonna live and do spells peacefully for the rest of our lives if this works out?" Jade questions, sitting crisscrossed leaning into her lap curiously. Alex nodded, pulling out her spell book and flipping a few pages, stopping and pressing her finger down on the spell, Jade and Charli looked down and read it.

"Protection Spell"

Alex chuckles, "We need as much protection and luck as possible for this to work out, y'know?" The other two girls nodded with a smile, placing their hands in their laps and waiting for Alex's instructions, just like the good ol' days in the forest.

Wow, it's hard to believe they've been here for a total of a month.

"Now," Alex whispers, "repeat after me," She points at the words and follows along as her finger traces underneath the words the girls spoke.

"A spell of safety here I cast, a ward of might to hold me fast. A shield before me and behind, to the right and left protection bine. To pay me no I'll whit come nigh, but only she whose rede I cry! So mote it be." The girls recited together, feeling the magic tingling within them.

They look up and glance at each other before smiling. "I think we're going to be okay." Charli smiled, causing the others to mirror her. Alex shuts the book and walks outside of the bed. She opened the drawer at her nightstand, taking out the bible and placing her spell book down next to her wand. She then placed down the bible, hiding the wand and spellbook from immediate sight.

"Are you sure that's going to be effective?" Jade asked, leaning back on the bed, crossing her arms as she got comfortable. Alex shook her head, "Not really, but it's all I've got for now. We're gonna get out of this place soon anyway." Alex got back in bed and laid next to Jade, beckoning Charli to join them.

Charli plopped down on Alex's other side, Alex and Charli turned to each other and stared into each other's eyes. Reflection of the candlelit flame waltzed in Charli's warm orange eyes. She was like fire, but not the wild, scary kind of fire that the witches dreaded, she was a warm, calm kind of fire. The kind that you sit by during a trip, the warm kind lit inside fireplaces, the kind of fire that burned on candlesticks. The good kind of fire. And it was beautiful.

"I think I'm gonna go to my room," Jade announced, sitting up and getting out of the bed. Jade grabbed one of the candles by the handle of its candle holder and walked out of the room, the flame lighting her way. The door shut behind her and Alex turned back to Charli.

Charli yawned, sitting up. Alex sat up with her. "Mind if I stay here tonight?" She asked, bringing her knees to her chest. Alex smiled and nodded, putting a hand on her back and resting her head on Charli's shoulder.

"Sure you can, sure you can..." She mumbled. The two sat there like that for a moment before Alex let go, getting out of bed and blowing out all of the candles and crawling in bed with Charli, covering them both under the covers as the two snuggled up.

"Thanks, Alex..." Charli murmured, dozing off.

Alex smiled, looking at the sleepy Charli that could barely be seen, the only thing illuminating her exhaustion being the moon. "Of course," She whispered, watching Charli go out like candlelight.

"Night Charli."

Alex dozed off along with her.

...

A week passed, the girls worked and got all the witches out of the dungeon. Now, they just had to wait for Miss Misa to get back, to alert that all the girls had been moved into the safe place without any disruptions.